Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Xalara

Printing with Polysmooth?

just set the temperature a bit lower (for example the transparent one prints nicely at 190°c)

Got the Polysher and going to try PolySmooth on UM3, but I am just curious about the temp experience. Polymaker noted that the proper printing temp is 210 to 230 °C. ;) Will try 210 °C for the start.

PS: PolySmooth is based on PVB (polyvinyl butyral), so it's not a PLA. But will use PLA profile as a platform too.

I've been using PLA as the base profile and printing at 210 celsius with a layer height of 0.15mm. At the very least I can confirm Ultimaker's PVA is compatible with PolySmooth.

Unfortunately I've run into the following issues while printing 3DBenchy:

• As it prints there's been a number of pops. Normally this signals a water absorption problem but the filament is fresh out of package and the ambient humidity is 35%
  • Under extrusion has also been an issue with tiny little holes in the outer wall. I'm attempting to solve this by printing slower than 70mm/s

Any ideas?

Edited by Guest

Apologies for the long delay in responding. Indeed, running the filanent in a dehumidifier at 54 Celsius for several hours solved the problem. Additionally, once dry it's fine to print at the recommended temperature of 220-225 Celsius.

Hi, how do I dehydrate my PVB? It's been stored in the garage, and I can't print with it at all using the PLA default settings on my U2+

Prior to print the filament extrudes smoothly from the .4 nozzle but the print fails right away. 

Thanks

You will need to heat it up to 55C for several hours (can go to 60, but I've found I ruin the spool when I go to 60). To do that you'll need an oven that can go that low, or better yet, take a food dehydrator and put the filament into that. I personally use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H2OEKK I used snippers to cut a spool sized hole in some of the grates.

Beyond that, Ultimaker still doesn't have settings for PVB so it comes down to starting with PLA settings and figuring out the specifics from there with trial and error.

Edited by Xalara

I find it very difficult to dry "wet" filament, my nylon never got saved. (i use a food dryer)

Best practice is surely to never get the filament wet, i store i dryboxes with tons of silicagel and moisture meters, and i print out of the polybox.