Printing with Polysmooth?

Xalara

Posted · Printing with Polysmooth?

Hi,

I'm currently trying out PolySmooth, it's quite easy to print, i use PLA settings, just set the temperature a bit lower (for example the transparent one prints nicely at 190°c)

Regarding the layer height, 0.15mm is quite good once smoothed

just set the temperature a bit lower (for example the transparent one prints nicely at 190°c)

Got the Polysher and going to try PolySmooth on UM3, but I am just curious about the temp experience. Polymaker noted that the proper printing temp is 210 to 230 °C. ;) Will try 210 °C for the start.

PS: PolySmooth is based on PVB (polyvinyl butyral), so it's not a PLA. But will use PLA profile as a platform too.

Based on what you guys said, I ordered a spool of filament to test print settings and also see how compatible the PVB is with PVA supports on my UM3.

I want to make sure it works before I get a polysher.

Posted (edited) · Printing with Polysmooth?

I've been using PLA as the base profile and printing at 210 celsius with a layer height of 0.15mm. At the very least I can confirm Ultimaker's PVA is compatible with PolySmooth.

Unfortunately I've run into the following issues while printing 3DBenchy:

• As it prints there's been a number of pops. Normally this signals a water absorption problem but the filament is fresh out of package and the ambient humidity is 35%
    • Under extrusion has also been an issue with tiny little holes in the outer wall. I'm attempting to solve this by printing slower than 70mm/s

Any ideas?

Edited by Guest

Your filament may have absorbed moisture before you got it. I have had several spools of material that do that after just being opened. I have to cook them a bit to dehydrate them.

Apologies for the long delay in responding. Indeed, running the filanent in a dehumidifier at 54 Celsius for several hours solved the problem. Additionally, once dry it's fine to print at the recommended temperature of 220-225 Celsius.

Yeah, it only takes one pinprick to get moisture in. Or, it can even be sealed in. But I am glad it is working now :):+1:

On my UM3 and UM2+ mk2 dual extrusion,  i print at 220 degrees, my support material is polysupport, at 230 degrees.

Hi, how do I dehydrate my PVB? It's been stored in the garage, and I can't print with it at all using the PLA default settings on my U2+

Prior to print the filament extrudes smoothly from the .4 nozzle but the print fails right away. 

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Printing with Polysmooth?

You will need to heat it up to 55C for several hours (can go to 60, but I've found I ruin the spool when I go to 60). To do that you'll need an oven that can go that low, or better yet, take a food dehydrator and put the filament into that. I personally use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H2OEKK I used snippers to cut a spool sized hole in some of the grates.

Beyond that, Ultimaker still doesn't have settings for PVB so it comes down to starting with PLA settings and figuring out the specifics from there with trial and error.

Edited by Xalara

Or you can use the printdry system.

But to save money, if you have a heated bed, just heat it up to the desired temp and put your spool on it for a few hours.

I find it very difficult to dry "wet" filament, my nylon never got saved. (i use a food dryer)

Best practice is surely to never get the filament wet, i store i dryboxes with tons of silicagel and moisture meters, and i print out of the polybox.