help with some beginners tricks for PLA impression in UM2

otaolafranc

Posted · help with some beginners tricks for PLA impression in UM2

Hello everybody,

I am new with the FFF 3D printers, as before I had work with SLA printers. And I need some feedback from people that had been working with ultimakers.

Right now I have an ultimaker 2 with PLA filament and i am having some problems,

First the nozzle of the extruder don’t stop the extrusion 100% when it moves and leaves some rests in different parts, as in the picture I am attaching.

25130221_10214051785678124_1471640067_o.jpg?oh=c68d271069f83a3a82195fa3470bf3fc&oe=5A2BD0A1

Also I got some bent in my bigger parts, I have configured the plate temperature to pre configuration for PLA that is already in the ultimaker someone had the same problem and modified to a custom plate temperature.

Also, I am using cura for the preparation of the files, it is ok but maybe is a better option or recommendation to do?

And the last problem is with the supports for the prints, in the actual configuration the supports sticks too much and I can’t take it out at all, some small guide for the different settings for the supports?

And another thing that is not a problem more like a doubt, is when designing prints that will fit one in each other or that something will fit inside like a tube, people working with this type of prints, how much of marge you take ? For example +0.05mm for the female part? Or it depends in the nozzle or size of the layer? Or is a little extra % of the real measure? Or for example for the size for the holes of the head of the screw

Thanks a lot!!

Is that carbon fibre PLA? It kind of looks like that in the picture. If so, then some small stringing isnt unusual, due to the carbon fibres. have you tried reducing the nozzle temperature?

Is that carbon fibre PLA? It kind of looks like that in the picture. If so, then some small stringing isnt unusual, due to the carbon fibres. have you tried reducing the nozzle temperature?

nop, normal black PLA

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · help with some beginners tricks for PLA impression in UM2

Hi,

i cannot see the picture, maybe because I'm using the mobile version, but when the nozzle dip some amond of filament it caled stringing or it can leave some blobs on wall surface... you can setup a higher retraction distance (if it set as 4.5mm try 4.8mm) to avoid it or print with lower temperature (try decrease 2 or 3 degrees). Try temp first. XT is trickier to avoid stringing than PLA. 

Cura is an awesome slicer but for advanced stuffs you should take a look to Simplify3D, it's more editable but it came for a price of 150 bucks. I still using Cura for some prints, it depends how the model looks like.

To fit stuffs you should make some tests with small pieces to don't loose to much filament but it's usually -0.1mm male and +0.1mm female. If you desing the holes using boolean (equal for male and female) you can adjust using Cura or Simplify3d "horizontal size offset" or something like that... set it for -0.2mm and be happy :). Again, make some test to set up correctly because it can vary beetwin printers.

I hope it helps!

Edited by fergazz