Printer powers off and reboot when heated bed is set below 60°c

chrisvp

Posted (edited) · Printer powers off and reboot when heated bed is set below 60°c

When I make a print with the heated bed set at 60°C, everything runs fine.

When I change the temp of the Heated Bed within Cura 3.x to another value like 50°, then the Printer starts, switches off and does a reboot during printing the first line of the Brim of het Object I'm printing.

Starting a Print with initial temp of Heated Bed to 60°C and then after the first layer to 40°C then this occurs the moment he goes from 40 to 39, a few layers later.( Cooldown)

I've thought maybe it is a Power Supply issue but when setting the Heated Bed to 60°C again everything prints fine.

Can Somebody explain this behavior?

I've never tried before another temp on the Heated Bed then 60°C.

I'm now running the latest Cura 3.1 without FW upgrade because I Have the UMO.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Printer powers off and reboot when heated bed is set below 60°c

The resistance of the bed increases with higher temperature which means it is lower wattage the hotter it gets. When the print starts it suddenly draws much more power for the 4 steppers.

I'm guessing your power supply just can't quite handle the nozzle, bed, and steppers all at the same time. When the bed is a bit warmer it draws less current so everything can be on at the same time for a few seconds without losing power briefly.

The brick power supply has this feature where it shuts off very briefly but then it's too late and the printer reboots.

The um3 has newer firmware that is more aware of the varying wattage of the bed and does better power management. But his is a UMO?

In Configuration.h I think you can limit the power to the bed. You can set it to 0 through 255 where 255 is the highest power. This feature does not work in "bang bang" mode which I think is default. I strongly do not recommend bang-bang mode as it causes all kinds of other issues also.

Maybe you just need a more powerful power supply?

The printer is an UMO as stated in the profile.

I don't think there is a problem with the Power Supply because the Ulticontroller does not flickker or flashes before it happens. The Heated Bed is an Original Ultmaker Heated Bed upgrade from 2016.

It only happens when the Temp is beneath 60° from the start or during the print when changing the Bed Temp after the first layer. Then when the Bed has cooled down to the Temp that is demanded, the printer shutts off and does a reboot.

When the Temp is set to 60°, the printer prints for hours without an issue.

The resistance of the bed increases with higher temperature which means it is lower wattage the hotter it gets.  When the print starts it suddenly draws much more power for the 4 steppers.

I'm guessing your power supply just can't quite handle the nozzle, bed, and steppers all at the same time.  When the bed is a bit warmer it draws less current so everything can be on at the same time for a few seconds without losing power briefly.

The brick power supply has this feature where it shuts off very briefly but then it's too late and the printer reboots.

The um3 has newer firmware that is more aware of the varying wattage of the bed and does better power management.  But his is a UMO?

In Configuration.h I think you can limit the power to the bed.  You can set it to 0 through 255 where 255 is the highest power.  This feature does not work in "bang bang" mode which I think is default.  I strongly do not recommend bang-bang mode as it causes all kinds of other issues also.

Maybe you just need a more powerful power supply?

Well, I think you were Right with the increase of the resistance of the Heated Bed at higher Temp.

I connected the original Power Supply to the Mainboard and the HB Power Supply only to the HB. All Temps are now working:)

However, since this is an original upgrade, installed following the manual, no other upgrades installed, should'nt the delivered Power Supply not be strong enough?

221W max 24VDC 9,2A Meanwell

Mainboard 1.5.7

HB board v1.1

Posted (edited) · Printer powers off and reboot when heated bed is set below 60°c

The one with the "T" in the part number ("GST" versus just "GS") seems so much less reliable.  It shuts off so much more easily.  It has too many fail safes set to a threshold too close to normal operating values.  Um switched to the newer supply around when the UM3 came out so about a year ago.

5a332779629bf_2017-02-2014_39_17.thumb.jpg.c2b0028a3efda9238ff58e678dbe0759.jpg

5a33277988296_2017-02-2014_38_55.thumb.jpg.4bb1dadebfd1249f8fe7325d276d1b4b.jpg

Edited by Guest

And when it *does* shut off power it is very brief - milliseconds. But enough for the arduino to reset/reboot.

Thanks for the info.

I do have a GST, so that explains the whole thing.

Bought this one in April 2016.

Is there a possibility to get an exchange?

I seriously doubt it. UM thinks the newer one is an improvement as it is less likely to destroy your equipment or burn your house down. I would stick with the solution you came up with (using 2 supplies at the same time).

UM thinks the newer one is an improvement as it is less likely to destroy your equipment or burn your house down.

I doubt that's the real reason for UM to change models. The GS series of power supplies has an Energy efficiency Level V rating where the GST series supports the newer level VI efficiency level.

Any power supply sold in the USA after February 10, 2016 is to meet the Level VI regulations. Only for old stock manufactured before that date was allowed to be of the Level V type.

So, any manufacturer selling world wide was forced to move to the newer efficiency level power supplies, even when that newer models had tighter power safety levels.

• Like 1

I Have reported the issue to the Reseller (Trideus) who has sold me the Heated Bed Upgrade.

I have received an exchange Power Supply from the type of GST- series, the problem was stil there.

Ultimaker has asked for the Gcode file and were able to reproduce the issue.

I then received an exchange of the type GS -series and indeed the problem is solved now with only one Power Supply connected.

Thanks to everyone.

I then received an exchange of the type GS -series and indeed the problem is solved now with only one Power Supply connected

Nice!  Great news!

@chrisvp Where did you get the GS power supply? I have exactly the same problem, received a new GST power supply but the problem still persists.

I've received the GS power supply through my reseller Trideus located in Belgium. They in turn got it from the Ultimaker Company. I was Lucky they stil got one because this isn't an actual product spare part.

The UMO power supply should have enough margin to avoid these power supply problems.

One possible problem cause would be when you have one of the early UMO's at 19V and then add a heated bed upgrade. In the upgrade kit is a 24V power supply instead of the old 19V version. This has impact on the power consumed by the nozzles; the original 40W nozzles at 19V now increase to 64W at 24V and so eat up all spare power margins.

I suggest you order a replacement heater cartridge. Look on eBay for "24v heater cartridge" and you can buy them for a couple of bucks. Make sure it is a model with 40W at 24V.