Ultimaker Original - Top face not filling in correctly

AdamWood

Posted · Ultimaker Original - Top face not filling in correctly

Hi Community,

I was hoping you could help me. I'm currently trying to print some Christmas ornaments but keep getting this on the top face. Any recommendations on what I need to do. This was a fine print using 2.85mm PLA. Any additional recommendations would also be welcome. Thanks.

image.thumb.png.ee9b64569a316334ae4c3c34705980bf.png

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

Is this Cura 3.X?  I recommend you go back to an older version of Cura - certainly 2.7 is safe.  There is much discussion of this here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2665#issuecomment-349396443

Thanks for that gr5. Will give it a go and see what happens.

On 19/12/2017 at 1:53 PM, gr5 said:

Is this Cura 3.X?  I recommend you go back to an older version of Cura - certainly 2.7 is safe.  There is much discussion of this here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/2665#issuecomment-349396443

Hi gr5. unfortunately, I'm still getting the same result. I've changed the settings and the design but have had no improvement. Any other ideas?

Not even slight improvement?

Well I see underextrusion on the top layer before it prints the name.  I would try to fix that by printing a bit slower and maybe a bit hotter.  Try 10C hotter and at 70% speed.

Actually I would make some smaller test piece that does this - maybe print just the R.  And play with stuff in the TUNE menu.  Actually it looks like you have some pillowing which is fixed by more fan (you want 100% fan for PLA) and more "top layers".  At least 1mm top/bottom thickness.  It takes quite a few layers for things to recover over infill.  More on pillowing here:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide