New UM3 Extended

EVRC

Posted · New UM3 Extended
1 hour ago, EVRC said:

Hi everyone. I just ordered a UM3 extended. This will be my first printer. Any tips and tricks to help me get started with this machine? 

Yeah, hang out here and just go through as much as you can stand, and then, ask as many questions as you like. There are no dumb questions. All of had to start somewhere and were ignorant too.

oh yeah...welcome as well :)

2 hours ago, EVRC said:

Hi everyone. I just ordered a UM3 extended. This will be my first printer. Any tips and tricks to help me get started with this machine? 

Hello fellow UM3 extended owner.  Welcome aboard.  

As @kmanstudios suggests,  hang out and read the forum, and the online docs.  Loads of inside information.  The best way to learn is to just play around and come here for help when you get stuck.

Cheers!

depending on what you want to achieve with your 3D printing you maybe should start looking into CAD software and try to find one that suits you, I personally am a big fan of Fussion360, but there are many other possibilities

good luck and welcome

I’m using inventor and blender mostly. Ive done some printing on printers that Techshop had before they shut down. I had bought one of the Bibo printers on amazon but sent it back really quick. I mostly had my objects made by Shapeways and I haven’t done a lot of printing personally. I used repetier and S3D on the Bibo for the couple of prints I attempted. I liked how the S3D supports pulled away so easily compared to Repetier. I’m looking to do some custom RC parts out of Nylon X. I’d also like to get dialed in to do some prints on 3dhubs. I’m having a custom bumper made by someone on 3dhubs right now. 

For printing with abrasive material you should change to a hard core from solex... And I would recommend using Printafix for good abs adhesion on the bed

Hi @EVRC, welcome to the community! Do you already know what you will be using the Ultimaker 3 Extended for? Sometimes there is a clear application and sometimes it is a trial into the realms of 3D printing to figure out what is possible. 

I can't agree more with staying in touch with the community. There is a lot of expert knowledge here just for the picking and everyone has had their first print too. 

What materials do you think you'll use? 

Let us know how it goes! :)

I did order the 3d solex hard core. 

3 minutes ago, EVRC said:

I did order the 3d solex hard core. 

Oooh.  I'm tempted but one of those. 

But its early days, I'm going to get used to Ultimakers stuff before I pull the trigger on that. (Hint: Ultimaker, please make wear resistant print cores. ).

• Like 2

Yeah I’m not even going to attempt putting it in until I know exactly what I’m doing. 

I was starting to experiment with metal filled filaments and then ran into a set of issues I have yet to solve. Now, to be fair, I have only been printing for a year and I did get taken away from the project by way of printing jobs and Gifts for the Holidays. Still printing gifts for the holidays.......sigh....so behind.....I need another printer.

So, caution is good to start with and I have seen some nice stuff that has been printed.

49 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I need another printer.

You are in luck, I know where they sell them! :p

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SandervG said:

You are in luck, I know where they sell them! :p

sigh....me too....but 'twill have to wait for a more fair day to happen.....Odds bodkins!!

Posted (edited) · New UM3 Extended

Well I’ve printed a few things in PLA and I’m very pleased with how they came out. I started my first Carbon fiber print last night and it’s still going. I’m having a problem with how to edit the Cura settings and sending them to the printer. It seems it’s just using the nylon settings. I did change the speed and temp manually to get the blobs to stop (not until the print was 70% finished). Can someone tell me the procedure to setup and use non Ultimaker materials. 

Edited by EVRC
    Crated new topic and removed part of this one

Change the settings you want to say and then make a new profile. In the box next to where it says "Profile" if you click the arrow at the end, there will be an option to save your current settings as a new profile.

• Like 1

I have gotten to where I just use project files and label them properly. It was a pain going through and importing the material profiles or print profiles for each level of detail, or worse, having a ginormous list to get through.

So, a dummy file with all the settings, each segregated to its own folder and I can summon up the setting very easily.

So, instead of a monstrosity of a list in the interface, I have to go through a heap 'o file names in the open files dialogue.

6 of one, half dozen of the other I guess.

Thanks kmanstudios. Your way sounds easier to deal with.