Olsson block on UM2 Go?

JimT

Posted · Olsson block on UM2 Go?

Is it possible to put an Olsson block on a UM2 Go printer? If so, how do you specify the nozzle size in Cura? Cura doesn't seem to have a way to specify nozzle size for the Go.

I've seen it done. You just need to be careful about the fan shroud, because the UM2 fan shroud is a bit of a tight fit for an Olsson block. Since there's nowhere to specify the nozzle size, you could get away with changing the line-width instead.

Not only is it possible but I did it on my UM2go and I sell Olsson blocks (or the block v3) for this very purpose.  I also sell heated bed kits for um2go and feeder upgrade kits for any um2 non-plus printer:

http://thegr5store.com

Outside of USA go to 3dsolex.com.

11 hours ago, JimT said:

If so, how do you specify the nozzle size in Cura?

Same as always: using Machine Settings. Or you can use Line Width instead of Nozzle Size.

If you really want the snazzy nozzle size dropdown, go into Machine Settings and jot down all the values you see. Then add a new Ultimaker 2 printer with Ollson block, go back into machine settings and restore the values you jotted down for the UM2Go (don’t forget to turn off the heated bed option).

For a feeder I would suggest;

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2go-feeder

What's the advantage of changing the feeder motor? Does it improve the print quality?

Posted (edited) · Olsson block on UM2 Go?

The black box is not pleasant to work with, you always have to move the filament through the menu. With this feeder you can move the filament by hand.

Edited by peggyb

I still have the black feeder on my um2go but I switched to other feeders on my other 5 printers.  The iRoberti feeder is really great.  Adding in the meduza upgrade is nice also (I have a cheap meduza upgrade kit on my store).

Being able to feed by hand teaches you many critical things.  For example I had a grinding issue on a brand new UM2 where instead of just a bite out of the filament there was a kind of flap as well.  When I fed more filament into the bowden the flap moved along into the bowden and was clogging the bowden badly.  But I couldn't tell by looking.  But if I had an iRoberti feeder I would have felt the problem instantly when feeding or removing or pushing on the filament.

You can also push on the filament while the nozzle is hot to feel how much force is required to feed filament.  If you do this often you will know by feel when you need a new teflon part.