Some examples

Florisvh

Posted · Some examples

Hi (architectural) community!,

My name is Floris and i own a small business in printing scaled models for both architects and urban designers ( i myself am a urban designer). It started as a hobby/ interest to use the 3D prints in my workfield as an extra or advantage. I am still nowhere near a pro when it comes to knowing the in and outs of 3D printing / cura settings and getting the best result in the least amount of time (thats also the reason i joined this community, to learn:)). 

Below are a few of my works, ranging from an entire new neighbourhood to a single high end appartment complex to a few new houses. Currently i am working on 3 scaled models for an architect, i will post the results when they are done. 

For most of these models i used the following settings in Cura 3.1.0

Ultimaker 3

layer height:  0.2

top/bottem thickness: 1.2

wall thickness: 0.8

infill density : 15-30%

printing speed: 20 -50%

printing temp. 200 - 215 degrees

travel speed: 200mm/s

appartment 2.jpg

appartment 3.jpg

appartment 4.jpg

appartment.jpg

urban design 2.jpg

urban design.jpg

appartment 5.jpg

• Like 7

Posted · Some examples

Great work, thank you for sharing these photo's with us @Florisvh ! Hopefully they'll be an inspiration for others as well.

In your photo's I also see many elements with colors, do you post process / paint your models, print in different colors or are these just not 3D printed? A particular reason why you did not 3D print them, if that is indeed the case?

Posted · Some examples

@SandervG thanks for the kind words :)

All the materials that u see (besides the people, cars, trees and the printed plan) are printed with the Ultimaker 3. I used different colors for different parts of the appartmentcomplex. 

everything is PLA based, besides the brown parts, they are a mix of PLA and wood, which on his own is a difficult fillament.

Posted · Some examples
    1 minute ago, Florisvh said:

everything is PLA based, besides the brown parts, they are a mix of PLA and wood, which on his own is a difficult fillament.

Yes it is! I suppose you used something like woodfill? If you are willing, we usually recommend to print woodfill with a larger nozzle than .4 because of the fibers and elements of wood in the filament, it is more likely to burn and clog your nozzle. Perhaps you have experienced this as well on occasion. 

In terms of 'safe printing', thicker layers and not printing slow (I'm not saying fast) is recommended. It shouldn't stay in your nozzle any longer than necessary. And a bigger diameter also helps with that. 

Posted · Some examples

@Florisvh - your prints look lovely! Myself doing something similar, it would be nice to have a talk with you.

Although my experience is limited to UM2, I find the white PLA (regardless of a brand) the most challenging to print. Lower temperatures and slower speeds usually help here, to some extent.

On my machine, Colorfabb Woodfill prints well with .4 nozzle. You just need to have it clean, no other special tricks that I can think of.

For the models as on the pics, 20 mm/s is really slow. You should be able to get good results at 30-50 mm/s. For most of the houses, no infill or very low infill is really needed, you can do some tests.

And I use Cura 15.04.6 for 95% of my prints.

Posted · Some examples

@SandervG, i have a 0.8 nozzle, which after some settings tweaking worked like a charm. 

Print is nearly finished, gonna start a new one right after. Il let you know what the results are of the faster print. 

Posted · Some examples

@shurik thank you very much! i would love to see some work of you. 

i'm gonna try faster prints in a bit. experimenting with just wall print. how is your experience with that? would save alot of time i reckon. i could print the roofs seperatly. 

I'm always willing to discuss this kind of work with anyone:)

Posted · Some examples

About materials, if wood is difficult there's this wood-like material thats easy to print;

http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polywood/

And this is my favorite white;

https://extrudr.eu/collections/specials/products/copy-of-extrudr-green-tec-white

Oh, and do you know you can set the bottom/top height separately? since you stick it onto a plate anyhow you can save time by f.e. 0.6 iso 1.2 bottom thickness.

Posted · Some examples
    6 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

About materials, if wood is difficult there's this wood-like material thats easy to print;

http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polywood/

And this is my favorite white;

https://extrudr.eu/collections/specials/products/copy-of-extrudr-green-tec-white

It looks like a great stuff, but unfortunately, both of them won't ship to my place :-(

Posted · Some examples

Hi @Florisvh , hope you are well! 

Earlier you said you were working on 3 scaled models for an architect. How did that work? ? Curious to see any updates!

Posted · Some examples

@Florisvh and @SandervG 

Scale 1:100 little people ? I made them for a workshop one of my colleagues had, the base was optional so the could move them around. Total printing time 2h. 

3.thumb.jpg.4d424bfbb36396dcfee54330f71bd91f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b4303f7fd174255b900ef9b7a382a146.jpg

• Like 3

Posted · Some examples

Very nice....:)

Almost tempting to think of them as Chess pieces.

Can you share settings, materials, etc? ?

Posted · Some examples
    2 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Very nice....:)

Almost tempting to think of them as Chess pieces.

Can you share settings, materials, etc? ?

Hej, 

Sure I can share, but nothing special though. The height of both the base and the silhouettes is 1.2 mm, printing speed 70 mm/s , layer height 0.1, nozzle 0.4 zI printed them separately because I initially misunderstood what my coleague wanted - soo superglue ftw. Material - ultimaker PLA. They were made from simply extruding autocad lines - rhino ftw! 

Pretty basic.

Posted · Some examples

OK, so they were printed flat and then glued to the discs?

1.2mm? Wowsah!

Posted · Some examples
    17 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

OK, so they were printed flat and then glued to the discs?

1.2mm? Wowsah!

Yea - why overcomplicate?!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Some examples
    12 minutes ago, Stefania Dinea said:

Yea - why overcomplicate?!

?Wow....these new emojis are tiny.....sorry...big thumbs up ?    

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted · Some examples
    12 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

?Wow....these new emojis are tiny.....sorry...big thumbs up ?    

haha - some girls do their nails at work, I use superglue and tweezers while revit is loading :))

Posted · Some examples

I have three things going on......

1. Printing

2. Slicing and finding best slice

3. Modeling to print.

I never run out of things to do.....

• Like 1

Posted · Some examples

Very cool! They look really good! I saw in one of your earlier guides you made a pin in your landscape where you would position all these little people. Is that how you always work? I imagine having a disc like these gives you more flexibility re positioning and you don't have to worry about it at start. Or maybe sometimes you don't want any people, and then the holes may be distracting? (or do you consider all these discs as distracting?) 

@SandervG - no, we usually glue them to the laser cut landscape or to the 3d printed landscape. The discs are fine when you want to play arround with them. The wholes in my example were an example on how to go about it. However, my no. 1 choice will always be super glue!

Edited by Stefania Dinea
    • Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, SandervG said:

Hi @Florisvh , hope you are well! 

Earlier you said you were working on 3 scaled models for an architect. How did that work? ? Curious to see any updates!

Hi Sander!

I'm doing fine thanks. how are you? 

Been really busy with my job and the company lately so i forgot to post the results. Starting next week i will have an extra day to spend for the company. will post all the results by then. 

since we last spoke we printed:

- 3 architectural buildings

- a big project on smaller houses for elderly 

- a mallstreet

as a little foretaste, here's an image of the mallstreet that is finished partly today. 

The overhang parts go very well! when it gets over 5 mm we use an angled structure beneath the overhang to let the printer build it bit by bit. This really works for us + gives us new ways of printing. took the printer 40 hours to print this ( in 3 parts). We continue to print the rest of the mallstreet starting today. 

@Stefania Dinea

The miniatures look really nice! 

did u print them standing up or glued the base to the miniature ( printed flat)? 

never used rhino before ( mainly autocad fan;p). does it work better/worse/same as sketchup, 3D wise?

Could u share some images of the 3D printed landscape!? i have been wondering about that part of Urban design for a while. As for printing we focus mainly on urban design buro's and architects, would like to expand our customerbase with landscape architects. 

@3dyantramstudio

The design looks really good! 

combination of sketchup and lumion ( or other render program)? we use Lumion daily at my job, has some great uses. 

Did u try to 3D print the design?

would be really nice to have ur dreamhouse 3D printed on the side table;p

081eff72-04e5-4d9d-aa67-80b1413a400b.JPG

Edited by Florisvh

Posted · Some examples
    On 5/26/2018 at 4:38 AM, Stefania Dinea said:

2.thumb.jpg.b4303f7fd174255b900ef9b7a382a146.jpg

Oh my god, these are brilliant! I'l have to have a go at making some from archicad silhouettes!