Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Florisvh

Some examples

Hi (architectural) community!,

My name is Floris and i own a small business in printing scaled models for both architects and urban designers ( i myself am a urban designer). It started as a hobby/ interest to use the 3D prints in my workfield as an extra or advantage. I am still nowhere near a pro when it comes to knowing the in and outs of 3D printing / cura settings and getting the best result in the least amount of time (thats also the reason i joined this community, to learn:)). 

Below are a few of my works, ranging from an entire new neighbourhood to a single high end appartment complex to a few new houses. Currently i am working on 3 scaled models for an architect, i will post the results when they are done. 

For most of these models i used the following settings in Cura 3.1.0

Ultimaker 3

layer height:  0.2

top/bottem thickness: 1.2

wall thickness: 0.8

infill density : 15-30%

printing speed: 20 -50%

printing temp. 200 - 215 degrees

travel speed: 200mm/s

appartment 2.jpg

appartment 3.jpg

appartment 4.jpg

appartment.jpg

urban design 2.jpg

urban design.jpg

appartment 5.jpg

• Like 7

Great work, thank you for sharing these photo's with us @Florisvh ! Hopefully they'll be an inspiration for others as well.

In your photo's I also see many elements with colors, do you post process / paint your models, print in different colors or are these just not 3D printed? A particular reason why you did not 3D print them, if that is indeed the case?

@SandervG thanks for the kind words :)

All the materials that u see (besides the people, cars, trees and the printed plan) are printed with the Ultimaker 3. I used different colors for different parts of the appartmentcomplex. 

everything is PLA based, besides the brown parts, they are a mix of PLA and wood, which on his own is a difficult fillament.

1 minute ago, Florisvh said:

everything is PLA based, besides the brown parts, they are a mix of PLA and wood, which on his own is a difficult fillament.

Yes it is! I suppose you used something like woodfill? If you are willing, we usually recommend to print woodfill with a larger nozzle than .4 because of the fibers and elements of wood in the filament, it is more likely to burn and clog your nozzle. Perhaps you have experienced this as well on occasion. 

In terms of 'safe printing', thicker layers and not printing slow (I'm not saying fast) is recommended. It shouldn't stay in your nozzle any longer than necessary. And a bigger diameter also helps with that. 

@Florisvh - your prints look lovely! Myself doing something similar, it would be nice to have a talk with you.

Although my experience is limited to UM2, I find the white PLA (regardless of a brand) the most challenging to print. Lower temperatures and slower speeds usually help here, to some extent.

On my machine, Colorfabb Woodfill prints well with .4 nozzle. You just need to have it clean, no other special tricks that I can think of.

For the models as on the pics, 20 mm/s is really slow. You should be able to get good results at 30-50 mm/s. For most of the houses, no infill or very low infill is really needed, you can do some tests.

And I use Cura 15.04.6 for 95% of my prints.

@SandervG, i have a 0.8 nozzle, which after some settings tweaking worked like a charm. 

Print is nearly finished, gonna start a new one right after. Il let you know what the results are of the faster print. 

@shurik thank you very much! i would love to see some work of you. 

i'm gonna try faster prints in a bit. experimenting with just wall print. how is your experience with that? would save alot of time i reckon. i could print the roofs seperatly. 

I'm always willing to discuss this kind of work with anyone:)

About materials, if wood is difficult there's this wood-like material thats easy to print;

http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polywood/

And this is my favorite white;

https://extrudr.eu/collections/specials/products/copy-of-extrudr-green-tec-white

Oh, and do you know you can set the bottom/top height separately? since you stick it onto a plate anyhow you can save time by f.e. 0.6 iso 1.2 bottom thickness.

6 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

About materials, if wood is difficult there's this wood-like material thats easy to print;

http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polywood/

And this is my favorite white;

https://extrudr.eu/collections/specials/products/copy-of-extrudr-green-tec-white

It looks like a great stuff, but unfortunately, both of them won't ship to my place :-(