DHof

DHof

I've been printing on my UM3 for some time without significant issues. And, have gone through numerous rolls of filament. I'm in the process of printing out several of the same object and ran out of black ABS filament, and had no issues. Now that I loaded a new roll of the same filament I began having plate adhesion issues. I cleaned the glass plate and still have issues. Can there be something going on with the new roll of ABS? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. 

Are you printing larger parts than before?  Did you re-level?  Changing the z=0 (leveling) by just a tiny bit makes a huge difference in how well parts stick.  more details here:

You should be using either extra thin pva glue or "abs juice" (google it) and never print ABS on a clean glass if you want it to stick well.  More info about making your parts stick here in my long but very detailed and informative video:

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'm not doing anything different. All I did was load a new roll of ABS black. I'm printing the same part, and didn't touch any of the settings. In fact, it was only minutes between printing my last part and loading the new roll of ABS, and stated printing the same part again.

I forgot to  mention in my original post; I reloaded what I had left on the old roll and did a print of the part without issue. Reloaded the new stuff and the adhesion issue returned.

I've printed a large number of parts over the years and never had to use adhesive, just clean glass. Almost allows I had to let the plate cool down before I could get the part off. But,I may need to start using glue as you suggest.

Or maybe just squish the bottom layer a little more (turn the 3 knobs 1/4 turn CCW).

Well the new roll probably needs a hotter glass plate.  if you don't cover your printer I recommend it and heat bed to 110C (105C minimum anyway).  Some formulations of ABS soften at 95C and some at 99C and some at 101C so you need to be above the softening temp or it will warp off the glass.

1 minute ago, DHof said:

Don't you hate spell checker! Sorry for the mistypos.

Feel free to edit your own posts :) and fix typos - I do all the time.

Can you elaborate on the squish bottom layer? All my prints to date have been using the recommended Cura settings. 

Thanks for the info regarding ABS temperature range. I'll check the heat bed setting and adjust if necessary.

Thanks gr5. The info regarding increasing the heat bed temperature made a difference. But, now I having issues with the supports either not holding up, crumbling or falling out before the print is completed. Like the issue with the plate adhesion; the old ABS worked just fine with the Cura recommended settings. Should I open a new topic?