Gum Drop Printing

kmanstudios

Posted · Gum Drop Printing

Well, that is what I am calling it. It is just a look. Nothing special. Done with Vase Mode. Layer height absurdly high. Printed with ColorFabb Transparent Green.

GDP_1.thumb.jpg.3a324699a7bd0768dbcdb61dfbb4861d.jpg

GDP_2.thumb.jpg.fc5c0bea5fe371eafc6179c281948770.jpg

• Like 2

.4 nozzle...absurdly high layer would be something like half again linewidth. I have actually done some fiddling about with layer heights up to 3 times the nozzle size and getting some really funky results.

Where some people see a mess, I can see spun candy.......

21 hours ago, cloakfiend said:

That is a really nice effect! and it doesn't need post processing!!!!

It ain't water tight though. I am trying to find a way to make a vase that is watertight on the inside to hold real flowers, but have the sugared effect on the outside. I will say this though, it really, really chews up filament like you would not believe.

17 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

It ain't water tight though. I am trying to find a way to make a vase that is watertight on the inside to hold real flowers, but have the sugared effect on the outside. I will say this though, it really, really chews up filament like you would not believe.

Maybe coat the inside with polyurethane, although this could have a visual effect? Or simply put a plastic PET bottle in it, maybe a 33cl bottle, like a coke-bottle where you cut-off the top?

Yeah, Those are good options. I am also looking at the usage as lamp shades. It was one of those odd things that just popped up, was cool and is now looking for a purpose. I have printed a lot of variations to try some things, but still no concrete application other than, it is a bit cool.....

Posted (edited) · Gum Drop Printing
    On 3/6/2018 at 7:23 PM, kmanstudios said:

you could actually place a second object inside the first, and have the slicer print it with different settings at the same time the models can even overlap... you have to disable collisions in the general settings though... this may be useful to create a smoother surface inside than outside...

There is also a fuzzy skin mode in experimental setting you could play with in combination maybe?

You might also want to look at surface mode if you need more control over where lines go...

Alternatively I know roodejoris slices models multiple times and then picks which layer he wants which settings, maybe you could similarly mix and match gcode to create a smoother surface on the inside this way, but much scripting required for this...

But post processing with chloroform for PLA or acetone for ABS might help or indeed A resin as @geert_2 mentioned

Edited by robinmdh

3 hours ago, robinmdh said:

you could actually place a second object inside the first, and have the slicer print it with different settings at the same time the models can even overlap

OK...no using good sense here LOL...I did not think of that...how's THAT for tunnel vision!!;p

There is also a fuzzy skin mode in experimental setting you could play with in combination maybe?

OOOO!!!!! I did not think of that either. @peggyb showed us a fuzzy skin she played with and I did make note of it being really cool looking. Again...STOP using good sense!! LOL

Alternatively I know roodejoris slices models multiple times and then picks which layer he wants which settings, maybe you could similarly mix and match gcode to create a smoother surface on the inside this way, but much scripting required for this...

G-Code is on the list of things in the future. I am also curious to know what language to learn when I start college to help with stuff in the future. So for now, g-code thangs are off the list of things to do right now....... BUt will file that away in the brain attic and pull it out at a later time :)

But post processing with chloroform for PLA or acetone for ABS might help or indeed A resin as @geert_2 mentioned

I am reluctant to do much post processing like that in the winter here in NYC as it is wet and cold and do not want to open doors or am not sure if wet and cold are good for post work like that. I do have a gallon of Acetone waiting for me to get randy with the experimenting on that though :)