pause at height - whislist:

cajodo

Posted (edited) · pause at height - whislist:

I know, Chritmas is over, but

becaus I am often using the

Erweiterungen -> PostProcessing -> G-Code ändern -> pause at height (plugin)

5a99758aaba17_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-02um17_01_32.thumb.png.eda3e37749e0de53b07d01bfb13d60de.png

for inserting something into the print. Often I miss the correct layer -> I think because of the wrong layer calculation (my previous post)

I want to see the correct Z-Position in the LayerView, to insert the correct values into the pause at height dialog.

And maybe, I can insert the LayerNumber into the dialog, an it calculates the z-height by itself.

like in the TweakAtZ:

5a99758c5c309_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-02um17_01_55.thumb.png.3a1f804381e292069b962c573d6d00d9.png

and a G-Code command for making the Ultimaker BEEP, when the layes is reached, will be the greatest.

AND / OR displaying the time, when the "event" at the Ultimaker will be reached will also be great,

AND Displaying the actual Z-height in the Ultimaker-Display... will make my life easier.

THX Carsten

Edited by cajodo

Posted · pause at height - whislist:

If you want to display the z-height you need to have a look at the tinkergnome firmware (um2 - 2+)

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

Regarding issues it seems it is more visible to the awesome team of devs (and community members) on github

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues

Posted (edited) · pause at height - whislist:

Now, with the "new" firmware I can compair the printed z-height

I have tested the following example:

I want to insert someting into my print.

CURA settings: first layerheight = 0.3 mm layerheight = 0.15 mm

The last "open" layer is 52, the next layer 53 closes the hole.

52 is the last chance to insert something.

calculating the height:

the fist layer is 0.3 mm

52 - first layer = 51 layers to print with 0.15 -> 7.65 mm

7.65 mm + first layer 0.3mm -> 7.95 mm

7.95 mm should be the correct for "Pause at height"

But you had to enter 7.8 mm (7.95 - layerheight 0.15) , to stop at the last layerheight to enter something. Then while printing (in real life) 7.95 mm is displayed when the pause is done.  

maybe this corresponds to this:

WHY?
    Does anybody know?

- Carsten -

Edited by cajodo

I don't have any great answers, but I can say my experience parallels your own. The best way to use this plug-in is to do a test print, see what happens, go back, retweak it, edit g-code by hand, etc.

Saying "layer number", or being more explicit about where the stop will happen, would be a huge upgrade to a useful tool

18 minutes ago, AbeFM said:

Saying "layer number", or being more explicit about where the stop will happen, would be a huge upgrade to a useful tool

Sorry, i have an exact opposite opinion... Why the "layer number"?

If i have a need to pause a print at a certain point - i always know the exact z-position. Who cares about what layer this is?

Why should someone want to calculate a layer number every time?

The layer number will change every time i modify the layer height, but the z-coordinate is always the same - that's much more convenient, reliable and save.

If i don't know the z coordinate (for whatever reason) - it would be nice, if the layer view would display the z-position, ok, but that's it.

Perhaps i understand something completely wrong - i just don't see a use case where i need a layer number as a pause "position"...?

(all above is IMHO of course).

9 hours ago, cajodo said:

But you had to enter 7.8 mm (7.95 - layerheight 0.15) , to stop at the last layerheight to enter something. Then while printing (in real life) 7.95 mm is displayed when the pause is done.

@cajodo One weird thing is, that the post processing script subtracts the first layer height to calculate the current height in the gcode. There's a comment:

# use offset to calculate the current height: <current_height> = <current_z> - <layer_0_z>

If i were you - that's a question i would ask the developers on Github at the next opportunity.

Perhaps i understand something completely wrong - i just don't see a use case where i need a layer number as a pause "position"...?

In some cases it's unnecessary in other cases it absolutely makes sense to handle the pause via layer-numbers.

For example:

I often make two-colored nameplates (with one extruder). The base-plate is 0.8mm high, the letters in another color are 0.4mm.

Now I know, the pause had to happen at the end of 0.8mm (the 4th layer in my case).

But if you have a unknown model (let's take this for example, which could be a nice multicolor print with one extruder) it is much easier to scroll through the layer view and say: "o.k. at layer x is the first color change on layer y the next", and so on...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, berndjm said:

But if you have a unknown model (let's take this for example, which could be a nice multicolor print with one extruder) it is much easier to scroll through the layer view and say: "o.k. at layer x is the first color change on layer y the next", and so on...

Ok, with other words - one can use the layer view as a tool to measure the model...

I had never thought to use it this way... thank's for the explanation - i accept this as a valid use case :)

• Like 1