Oh yes, 13.06.3 is really fast, but...

hp-65

Posted · Oh yes, 13.06.3 is really fast, but...

... were these intentionally left out?

- retraction minimum travel

- select wether to print all objects at once or sequencially

- an isometric top view for the "new planner"

- there's no coordinate system any more; where am I ? :wink:

I fully respect your ambitions to create an UI as easy as possible,

but at least to my opinion, missing any or all of these options

really, really hurts...

I have had only a few hours with the new Cura, and the speed is really mindblowing.

As you mentioned, there are a few "ifs" and I think these will be ironed out and then this thing is going to rock.

I think the integration of the project planner / multiple model arranger into the main surface is a good idea. And the models are done one after the other- a good way to get rid of the stringing and blobbing when the printhead moves back and forth between models. But as far as I could see the arrangement can cause the print head to collide with a previously finished model. Or am I wrong here? I have only simulated this in the preview, not on the machine yet.

But as far as I could see the arrangement can cause the print head to collide with a previously finished model. Or am I wrong here? I have only simulated this in the preview, not on the machine yet.

The "all objects at once" algorithm sunk the head into finished prints several times, but I never had any

problems with the sequential printing option (except mixing very high and very small objects the same time).

The old project planner settings moved to the main preferences, but all values are set to "0mm".

Suggested values appear if you hover the mouse over the input fields.

You'll need to enter them manually...

I am already back to version 13.04...

slicing speed is not that important!

Too much has been cut away in this version.. mainly funtions that are truly essential for me.

the stl export option is the only thing useful i found in this version so far.

But as far as I could see the arrangement can cause the print head to collide with a previously finished model. Or am I wrong here? I have only simulated this in the preview, not on the machine yet.

You have to go to preferences and set up all the parameters there and then place the models again.

If you want to force it to print all objects simultaneously you only have to put a zero in the "gantry height" field.

where am I ?

Right here. You are always right there. Just kidding. Well there are lots of hidden features if you know the write shortcut keys and such. For example zoom is when holding down both mouse buttons and dragging. You can pan also. But as for position? All I know for sure is that each square is 10mm.

After manually adding

machine_type = ultimaker

to "preferences.ini", I managed to regain control over orthogonality ;-)

At least now, the Ultimaker bed appears...

After manually adding

machine_type = ultimaker

to "preferences.ini", I managed to regain control over orthogonality :wink:

At least now, the Ultimaker bed appears...

Maybe I should make Cura not continue if you fail to do the first step in the first-run-wizard.

Panning can be done with shift+right mouse button.

All-at-once printing can be done with a gantry height of 0, or by having a object higher then the gantry.

Retraction minimal travel is indeed missing, internally it is doing this at 1.5mm

The never was a coordinate system?

Maybe I should make Cura not continue if you fail to do the first step in the first-run-wizard.

I did not test the wizard of 13.06.x because all previous versions did not work.

They either moved the extruder far too slowly (few clicks in several seconds)

or much too fast.

Never digged deeper, but I assume it was caused by an improper M92 E... command.

What about just having a window (or an import function) where one can enter all the

good old, proven settings?

All-at-once printing can be done with a gantry height of 0, or by having a object higher then the gantry.

Thanks for clarifying that!

The never was a coordinate system?

Still stuck in v13.03, but now, I can see the bed.

Sufficient for home usage :wink:

BTW.:

A little other problem, that already happened in 13.03 too:

Sometimes, depending on what other applications are running, I can not

enter any values in the input fields or file dialogs!

The cursor always jumps back (or forth) to a specific position in the field.

This behaviour seems to correlate to OpenGL software

(Had it with Rhino 3D and OpenSCAD).

Here's the problem - I ran the wizard once ever. Back in November. Oe one computer. I usually use Cura on a second computer that has a SD card reader/writer. I vaguely remember that the wizard checks the limit switches and replaces my firmware (which I don't want to do!) and the UM is far from my second computer so I am in the habit of not running the wizard.

However I just ran it now and it nicely and easily lets me just answer a few questions and lets me skip over the firmware replacement steps.

So, yes, you *should* force people to run the wizard but maybe make it even easier for people who won't be connecting a USB cable to the printer so they don't have to decline more than once.

FIRST STEPS!

You need to do the first 2 steps of the wizard, just click next 3 times, and then cancel. You don't have to do it all, Cura just wants to know what machine you have so it knows how large the bed it. You can cancel all the other tests and firmware updates.

Yes, but I've installed a dozen cura's and never tried it until yesterday. So you should have forced me to do it.

Better, I've commited some code that looks for older installs of Cura and copies your preferences from there on first run.

Hi Daid,

I've been playing with the new version of cura and It's incredible how much you have achieved (that's the positive bit). However with certain models I can't achieve as good results as I could with v13.03.

Number 1 on my where is it list really is bridge speed. I often print thin walls with windows in them. If the bridge speed is cut to 10mm/s then I can bridge upto 20mm without too many issues. I'm finding that 13.06.4 just can't match that. If I turn the print speed down I get really good quality walls but poor bridging.

The another problem I have is that I often print eliptical curves in the x/y using z axis to achieve the length of a wall. in 13.03 a simple curve, .8mm thick with Joris worked really well. The head would sweep from end to end without stopping. Print 2 curves in a clam sheel design and the jump would always occur at the end of the arc.

In 13.06 the head often stop starts and redraws mid curve. If I print 2 together then the jump between the 2 curves happens at random points mid curve - not from the ends which worked so well before. Let me know if you want to see any stl/gcode on these.

Cura 13.06 has got many fantastic features . I've had excellent prints of the Giant Lego Yoda and weeping angel (both off Thingiverse). The speed of slicing is impressive and in many ways the results are better than 13.03, so don't stop, you're doing an excellent job!

Andy

I'll see if I can add the briding speed, more people are asking for that.

Could you show a screenshot or model to explain the other problem? I'm not sure if I'm getting it.

Here's the tool path for 2 eliptical curves in 13.06.04

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/765-cura130604pic2/