Ultimaker 3: Firmware v4.3 | Stable version

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker 3: Firmware v4.3 | Stable version

Today, a new stable Ultimaker 3 firmware will become available. SvG is out of the office, so I will do the firmware post this time ;)

Firmware 4.3 mainly contains Cura Connect improvements, but also includes a new accessibility feature for the UM3. It is available for download through the menu on your Ultimaker 3 / Ultimaker 3 Extended. Go to ‘System’ => ‘Maintenance’ => ‘Update firmware’ and select ‘Stable version’.

update-screen.gif.09afe7faf1f2aabc3b09d3e8d189228d.gif

You can also follow this guide to install via USB.

The blog post is here. As always, let us know your reactions in this thread.

The full release notes, including bug fixes, are below:

Embedded

Mouse accessibility. To give greater accessibility to users with physical disabilities, a wired USB mouse can be hotplugged into the Ultimaker 3 USB port, as an alternative interface to the Ultimaker 3 button. Moving the mouse in X/Y directions is equal to rotating the button, and a left mouse click is equal to a button click.

Cura Connect

Extended language support. Improved translations for English, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Portuguese, Turkish, and Polish. Due to lack of community support, Finnish has been removed.

Optimized JavaScript bundle.js. The size of the JavaScript bundle.js has been reduced to speed up Cura Connect page loading time.

Material color and type. Jobs sliced for generic materials are printable on any grouped printer with a matching material type, regardless of brand or color. This brings the behavior in line with Ultimaker Cura.

Manage outside jobs. Jobs started from USB, or reprints after an abort are now manageable from the Cura Connect UI, giving the user more control.

Pause, resume and abort. Jobs can be paused, resumed or aborted from within the Cura Connect UI, giving the user more control.

Custom confirm dialogs. Default JavaScript dialogs have been replaced with a new popup component, which brings the language, look, and feel in line with Ultimaker Cura.

Mobile view. The mobile view has been optimized to show clearly on small screens.

Firmware version visible. The firmware version of each printer in a group is now visible on the printer details page, offering a centralized overview for users rolling out firmware updates.

Bug fixes

Updated tooltips. The tooltip content has been updated to fix spelling errors and clarify messages.

Prevent group ‘stealing’. New rules have been implemented to prevent problems caused by adding hosts, or printers already in an existing group, to a new group.

Recursive printer groups. New rules have been implemented to prevent manually adding a printer to a group that it is already in.

Edge browser IP address formatting. Fixed an issue where Edge browser formatted IP addresses as phone numbers.

Sticky reservations. Fixed an issue where rescheduling jobs wouldn’t work after "move to top" or "override configuration" operations.

Umlauts in file names. Fixed a bug where umlauts in file names caused crashes.

There was a last minute update to the v4.3 release, released as v4.3.2:

- Fixed the bug where on power-up Cura Connect would automatically re-start printing the last object. This only happened when you switched the printer off with the display still showing the message for clearing the buildplate.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3: Firmware v4.3 | Stable version
    12 hours ago, Indy31 said:

There was a last minute update to the v4.3 release, released as v4.3.2:

- Fixed the bug where on power-up Cura Connect would automatically re-start printing the last object. This only happened when you switched the printer off with the display still showing the message for clearing the buildplate.

Thanks for adding!

Edited by maht

• 1 month later...

Hi Ultimaker Team and Community,

I tried to update our Firmware. But now it crashes every time I start a new print. At the most tries it crashes during the nozzle heating. Sometimes it runs until the bed calibration. The screens turns black and the Ultimaker reboots.

I hope you can help me with this problem.

(I tried to install older versions of the firmware, but the problem is still there!)

@Steffen Sorry to hear your system has problems. The symptoms you describe are not something I've heard of before in the 4.3 release. When it happens again, can you email me the log files from your system, or post them here? (menu: System/Maintenance/Diagnostics/Dump logs to USB)

Hi Carlo,

here are my logs. Do you also need the third file? It has an not allowed file extension (ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000d2e.4.3.2.20180308.config.tar)

Right before the saving the logs I did a factory reset, then updating the firmware and then starting a print. It crashes after heating up when it should start the calibration.

ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000d2e.4.3.2.20180308.boot0.log

ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000d2e.4.3.2.20180308.boot-1.log

@Steffen The config.tar is not very important at this moment.

When I look at the log files I'm surprised that the logs are very short, less than1 minute since booting. In this time there is no heating shown. Somehow the log file we want to see is not here. Perhaps it was not written to the file system because of the sudden reboot.

Do you use the original Ultimaker print cores? Are there perhaps other improvements to your system? Another build plate, power supply, etc?

When it happens again, can you post another set of log files, just to see if those contain more info.

Do you have another Ultimaker printer from which you can try to swap the external power supply?

On 5/27/2018 at 11:16 PM, CarloK said:

@Steffen The config.tar is not very important at this moment.

Actually, something the config files could be causing this problem. So it would be nice to have those as well.

It seems that the problem is not longer there. The last print was finished successfully...

@Carlo: Yes, we use original print cores. No improvements. We use a FilaPrint on the build plate (But we had never problems with this before). Power supply is standard. We have also an UM2+extended.

If it happens again I will upload new log-files.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Hello,

I have copied the firmware files into the root directory on the USB stick, but these files are not recognized by the printer. What can be the problem?

Thank you

@cello - which printer?  Um2 or Um3?  For um3 it's important to include the signature file as well.

After copying both files (firmware and signature) onto usb flash drive, insert into um3 and in menu system choose to upgrade.  It will see the files on the usb flash drive.

Also, double check the file names. With some browsers the files are written with the wrong extensions.

The file names should end with ".tar.xz" and ".tar.xz.sig" for the smallest file. But some browsers change this into ".tar.tar" and ".tar.xz.tar" and those are not recognized by the printer.

18 hours ago, CarloK said:

Also, double check the file names. With some browsers the files are written with the wrong extensions.

The file names should end with ".tar.xz" and ".tar.xz.sig" for the smallest file. But some browsers change this into ".tar.tar" and ".tar.xz.tar" and those are not recognized by the printer.

Great, thank you. That was the problem.

Is it the same firmware for Ultimaker 3 and 3 Extended?

Machine fail to download so I need to do manual upgrade but cant find any specific file for the extended version.

Yes, UM3 firmware comes in 1 flavour only. The machine type (and a few other settings) are programmed in a separate location during fabrication.

• Like 1