Will not print on the base screen.

cathyw

Posted · Will not print on the base screen.

I have a Cura 2 to Go printer. Students are using 3 D Slash to make their objects. I have to save to disc, then take home to download in the slash program and place in Cura and then save again. My school doesn't grant permission to download from Slash or any website. Basically, I am rebuilding and downloading. 

The past two prints we have attempted begins the printing outside of the base plate. The filament then is on the bottom of the printer and I have to abort printing. I have a pattern and follow the directions and dimensions in Slash 3 D. Tinker Cad seems easier for the students, but not able to printer anything from the program.  Need assistance on aligning the design so it will begin to print on the face plate instead of outside of the plate. Thanks you.  

1) You have a um2go, right?  (please answer)

2) So you are just talking about the first few seconds I think when it is priming the nozzle, right?  Then it moves to the center of the glass and tries to print?  If it isn't printing in the middle then the nozzle is probably not close enough to the glass.

3) Did you put blue tape on the glass?  Did you wash the blue tape with isopropyl alcohol?  This is critical - you can get rubbing alcohol next to where they sell bandages in any drug store or supermarket.  Just put a little on a tissue and wipe.  This removes the wax layer from the tape which prevents the tape from sticking to itself and prevents prints from sticking to the tape.

The initial nozzle purge (aka nozzle priming) doesn't have to go off the left edge but I prefer it by far!  It's one of the great things about the um2go.

Yes it is a 2Go. I have waited for a few minutes for the nozzle to adjust, but it continues to print on the left side off of the plate. I will put the blue tape on the glass use rubbing alcohol. 

Thanks for answering. 

I am now receiving error messages on the printer "out of print area" after the nozzle has already begun to print. The nozzle doesn't even attempt to move toward the center of the glass. 

I'm thinking maybe you have a loose pulley.  Or maybe your slicing settings are messed up.  Do you have the black and green hex driver that comes with the printer?  You might need to tighten all the X axis pulleys - there's either 5 or 6 of them - not sure.  There's the 4 on the long belts that go left and right - and then the most crucial one - on the stepper.  You have to tighten those very hard - so hard the hex shaft bends a bit.

I need to see a video to know if this is the issue.

Can you confirm that you have Ultimaker 2 Go picked in Cura when you're slicing? If it's set on Ultimaker 2, the center of an Ultimaker 2 bed is out of range on the Ultimaker 2 Go. (If you slice a model for a 2Go and print it on a UM2, it prints in the front left quadrant, so if you reverse that...the center of a UM2 plate doesn't even exist on a UM2Go.)

Thanks for your help. I was able to print one object. Now the nozzle seems to be clogged. I'm not sure if IT will work on this. I found directions, but seen to be lengthy and I don't want to damage the printer. Any suggests on step-by-step to clear the nozzle so the filament will run? There is plenty of filament on the roll.  Many thanks. 

The nozzle cleaning should be pretty straight forward using the instructions here: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/21619-how-to-unclog-an-ultimaker-nozzle

Essentially you want to remove the bowden tube, heat the nozzle, and push filament through by hand. Then you cool down the nozzle enough so that the filament is still soft, but not flowing through, and when you pull it out, you'll have an impression of the inside of the nozzle and you can see if it's clear or not. The cold pull part also pulls excess debris (usually charred filament) out.