Julian7

Gradual infill in custom setup

Posted · Gradual infill in custom setup

If I choose "Recommended" in Print Setup, there is a checkbox for "Enable gradual". Setting this greys out the Infill percentage slider.

If I then switch to "Custom", there is no option to enable or disable gradual, although I can then alter the percentage. There is nothing in "Setting Visibility" to make this available.

If I alter the percentage and switch back to Recommended, the slider shows the new percentage, but greyed out. The percentage seems to alter the layer at which the more dense fill-in starts.

I'm not sure what needs to happen here but it seems to me the easiest solution would be to:

a) Make the gradual infill checkbox available in Custom

b) If the Gradual infill box is checked when moving from Custom to Recommended, set the percentage back to 90% and the fill to Lines (i.e. the recommended settings).

Julian

The setting in Custom mode is named "Gradual Infill Steps". The checkbox in Recommended mode flips that setting between 0 and 5.

Ok. Thanks. I had seen the setting but didn't realise it had a zero option to turn it off.

Julian

As a relative newbie, I read the tutorial on Gradual infill, but don't quite understand the concept.

It seems that the infill is low or less dense at the bottom of a model but more dense near the top.

If this is a correct understanding, what is the benefit?

If not, then please help me to understand the tGraudal Infill.

Thanks

You are correct, it gets more dense to the top and helps if you don't need much infill for strongness but need a good amount of infill for the top layer to get a nice surface or the get the top surface strong enough for your needs.

Gradual infill is not suitable for every object, maybe you will need it very rarely but it is good to know that there is something 🙂 

• Like 1

Yes it only gets more dense near "top" surfaces which can be in many locations of your model.  I wish it got thicker on walls and floors for strength as well.

Still it can save time in printing and makes the top layers quite nice.

There are 3 related settings:

infill density

gradual infill steps

gradual infill step height

Try 50% for the density, 1mm for the step height and 10 for the number of steps.  Moving down from the top, each step it uses half as much infill.

For a cube the setting is pretty much useless.  You can instead just add one or 2 more solid infill layers at the top of your part.

For something like a pyramid it's quite useful.  It makes quick partial infill up the sides that get thicker as you get closer to a top surface.  Similar to what bones look like on the inside.

a.png