Why doesn't Cura's prime tower just build a bottom layer?

qablos

Posted · Why doesn't Cura's prime tower just build a bottom layer?

Not really a question or huge issue...but I just wondered why the prime tower doesn't have a bottom layer for better adhesion. The material used is negligible.

it usually fails as it gets taller as in, breaks, not always topple. I do not see an issue with the idea though. But, I also do not print with prime towers anymore.

Some prime tower improvements have been incorporated into the latest Cura 3.3.1 release.  Prime towers are now circular rather than square which should give them more strength and rigidity, plus better buildplate adhesion.  Previously prime towers often broke by a "hinging" action across one of the layer lines on the straight edges of the tower, that hinging point doesn't exist now with a circular-shaped tower.

It is a huge time saver and material saver. For time comparison, just slice it with it on and off. You will see how material and time is wasted with the prime tower.

On 5/4/2018 at 11:16 PM, qablos said:

Not really a question or huge issue...but I just wondered why the prime tower doesn't have a bottom layer for better adhesion. The material used is negligible.

It's been a long time request of myself to have the option to set a brim on the prime tower, even when you don't use it on the printed item. I've heard it will be in an upcoming release.... not sure when exactly

On 5/6/2018 at 11:11 AM, kmanstudios said:

It is a huge time saver and material saver. For time comparison, just slice it with it on and off. You will see how material and time is wasted with the prime tower.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:48 AM, cloakfiend said:

I'd be interested in how you achieve your prints @kmanstudios without a prime tower as it means you are saving time and I'm a big fan of saving time!

So what are you doing?! 

My towers DO get a brim in 3.3.1

They still fail, it's not bed adhesion anymore since brim is on.

Turning off fan during tower printing would help.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:00 AM, SteveCox3D said:

Some prime tower improvements have been incorporated into the latest Cura 3.3.1 release.  Prime towers are now circular rather than square which should give them more strength and rigidity, plus better buildplate adhesion.  Previously prime towers often broke by a "hinging" action across one of the layer lines on the straight edges of the tower, that hinging point doesn't exist now with a circular-shaped tower.

The circular tower is easily made prone to failure, with low thickness it prints are disparate, single walled concentric lose circles, and poor adhesion does the rest.

Solid towers are more stable. I think a core would work.

In my other tower thread I show an arch I made to catch failed towers and it works fine, just let the failed tower be a virtual dump bucket.

13 minutes ago, AbeFM said:

So what are you doing?! 

I just do not use the priming tower is all. Usually just a bit of work with an x-acto cleans most things nicely.

I'm going to PVA because my models have many internal cavities which getting support out of can be a multi-hour chore.

Certainly I cannot get in there with anything to pull strings.

Oooze sheild seems like it would work, but unless I could control it to be ONLY extruder 1 or extruder 2 (or two layers thick, one of each) I keep getting failures, the strings pulled into the part ruin the printing there. I keep changing Ooze Shield Angle in desperation.