Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
LePaul

Polyalchemy Elixir PLA

I wanted to show off some of the nice prints I am getting with this stuff!   Polyalchemy Elixir is impressive!

I'm using the stock PLA settings in Cura, the only change I am making is once the first layer is down, lowering the temperature to 205C, which seems to be the "sweet spot" for this filament.

It's a little unsettling when your nozzle first starts to extrude this material.  When I loaded the filament, not much came out.  It was like a "worm" (or the kids might prefer the "booger" term).  I removed it, did an Atomic Pull on my Ultimaker 2+ just to make sure I didn't have a partial clog.  All three pulls came up clean!  I re-loaded it and loaded up a print.  

Once the extruder starter to prime the nozzle, I used to tweezers to "pull" the plastic out some.  It doesn't leave that spaghetti pile I am used to with normal PLA filament.

However when you see those layers going down, you know it's extruding just fine.

I've been printing at 0.15 layer height and you hardly see the print lines.

The color here is "Purple Rain" and it's very shiny....a bit hard to photograph!

cat stretch.jpg

turtle.jpg

Is this material particle-filled? It looks a bit like the shiny "mica" colours in some car paints, which use mica plastic particles. Maybe you can see it, if you look at the models through a microscope, or if you take a high-res photo through a good macro lens?

I did a quick google, but I didn't find much about the composition, except that it was "a blend of PLA and other polymers", which doesn't say much...

It is a blend of polymers.  No particle fill.   

I believe the satin finish, and the weird behavior where the material globs back on itself when you extrude into air, has to do with internal stresses in the material 

I like the shine. Could be useful if you want to visually simulate metals, for example in a technical prototype, but without actually using abrasive metal-filled filaments.