Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
QC102

Printer name - prefix on G Code

Since the 3.3.1 update, the option to add one's own  printer name  as a prefix to the produced G Code file... is now not possible for those who opt to configure as "Custom"  / FDM printers.   Is this a change in policy or a bug that will be fixed in a next update?

17 hours ago, QC102 said:

Since the 3.3.1 update, the option to add one's own  printer name  as a prefix to the produced G Code file... is now not possible for those who opt to configure as "Custom"  / FDM printers.   Is this a change in policy or a bug that will be fixed in a next update?

I discovered an interesting thing tonight. I loaded simple_vase.STL and the file name in the lower right corner was empty - I twigged that this was down to the upper case file extension and so renamed the file to simple_vase.stl and got the file name appearing as expected - is this just a Linux thing? Anyway, I shall post an issue on github.

8 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

I have no idea why it's not taking your printer name anymore, but in the meantime you can ofc just click the name in the right bottom corner and rename the file...  but easy to forget indeed...

image.png.933040f7fba3390a694e216e7f91e2c4.png

image.png.dd43bf160331d3838182f03e9bb28f1b.png

Hi, Yes I do know  how to edit the file name. I am not alone to mention this "problem" - there have been a few comments on the Anet Geeetech support facebook group. One poster claims that his "name Prefix" us stuck at Prusa i3 - but I rather think he has the wrong setting!  Others have stated their "prefix" for custom.FDM printer ( all Anet A8's or A6 is as seen in your example...CFDMP.    Granted this is more ego than necessity.   I am guessing the software engineers test on the companies own machines.  However cheap and rubbishy as the Anet stuff is.. they do have a mega load of users and I feel it cannot be impossible to include an Anet Profile. After all  there is Tevo and Zonestar and maybe others I do not know about in the cheapo cloned range of printers...not as popular as the A8.    To conclude maybe the I.T.team can look at why this happens  as it obviously indicates something in the code has changed.

2 hours ago, smartavionics said:

I discovered an interesting thing tonight. I loaded simple_vase.STL and the file name in the lower right corner was empty - I twigged that this was down to the upper case file extension and so renamed the file to simple_vase.stl and got the file name appearing as expected - is this just a Linux thing? Anyway, I shall post an issue on github.

I tried to replicate that by renaming files with upper case file suffix - nothing happened!! I tried on win10 PC and iMac.  So  the guess is...is it a code deciepher issue  on  individual computers...or a Cura code glitch???

2 hours ago, billybob884 said:

Is there a way to disable the printer name prefix in front of the gcode filename?

The simple way to avoid any computer name prefix...is un-tick the option in the General Settings.

I am  just curios on two point (3rd being ego!)  Is this change which occurred in 3.3.1  Intentional? If so...Why??   which is really for somebody with front office contacts or info.     As an aging  Adult - like many others with the cheapo clones printers.. I like to make it look better, and modify what can  be do to improve for visual aspect. electronically  safer and operating as best it can. Which for a cheapo Anet A8..is not over difficult for even my meager knowledge.  Its just a little quirk that we give the printer "a name" and if the IT team doing Cura wanted to remove that  option... WHY leave us paupers with CFDMP as a prefix.. what on earth is thw sense in that??  As a sulk I have turned off the info share options - so I don't confuse those who check it.