Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
guntero

Blue tape comes lose

Hi,

Sometimes, the blue tape comes of the acrylic build plate while printing. Not entirely, but it results in a deformed base.

I didn't had this problem before, but now I have it a lot. I'm using the stock blue 3M tape.

Is there a (safe) way to clean / de-grease the build platform to make sure the blue tape sticks?

Thanks.

Thanks, will try the alcohol if I can get my hands on it.

Would "ether" (Diethyl ether) do the job as well? It is used by medical people (and a lot of house holdings have it in their medical box) to remove bandage adhesive from skin.

The isopropyl alcohol works fine but its definitely worth the effort to experiment with different brands of tape. I use a wide paper based tape for objects of small diameter that I want to get off without re doing the bed all the time. Sometimes I even use one kind of tape on top of another or I apply them crossed over each other. You have to make slight adjustments to bed height for different tapes. I usually do this on the fly.

isopropyl alcohol is sold anywhere bandages are sold. Such as a drugstore. Next to the bandages. People use it to clean/disinfect wounds and cuts.

As everyone else said: use wider tape. The tape that comes with the UM is much too narrow. I use 2 inch (50mm). Some people use 8 inch (200mm)! That way you only need one piece. The wider tape is held down over more surface area and harder for your print to lift it off the bed.

Thanks for the info about the tape, I'll see what I can get in the local hardware store.

But just for information: the Ether is doing it's job very well, the tape sticks as it should be, and the acrylic plate is not harmed in any way by it. It shines like a mirror :-)