XY calibration sheet graphic is confusing

Posted · XY calibration sheet graphic is confusing

The text on the XY calibration sheet (both the old V1.5 version packed with my UM3 and the new V1.9 version that's for the S5 as well) does a pretty good job of explaining the operation clearly.

But I would say that the graphic showing you how to select a line actually confuses things again. The problem is that the difference in spacing between the Material 1 and Material 2 lines is much greater on the graphic than it is on an actual calibration print. So before I tried calibrating the real printer, when I looked at the graphic that was trying to show me 'See, choose +15 because that's perfectly lined up; don't pick -3 because that's off', my response was "Okay, but why wouldn't I choose -6? That's perfectly lined up too. Am I missing something? Would they both work?"

That situation -- two pairs of lines that are both perfect matches -- can't happen on the real calibration print (unless something is terribly off).

Is there a reason why the graphic takes this approach? Wouldn't it be better to use line spacing that better matches a real calibration print?

XY Calibration Graphic.PNG

• 6 months later...
    Posted · XY calibration sheet graphic is confusing

They would not both work.  You should choose -6 in the above case.  It is indeed a bad example.  You want to choose the closest value to zero which may be positive or it may be negative.  Typically it will always be less than 10.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies