Nozzle size request

Ghene

Posted · Nozzle size request

Hey Ultimaker team,

Just sending an odd request to you if that's entirely possible. Can we have 1mm to 1.2mm print core nozzles? I know E3D-Online have big nozzle sizes available but as it requires me to build a new printer to accommodate that, I thought to ask you first. 

It will help me get my investment back quicker (thus be able to afford the next printer upgrade or maybe another printer). 

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, reibuehl said:

Have you had a look at the UM3 HardCore print cores from 3DSolex

Thanks! Do you have experience with this brand? What's the print quality like? How does the Cura software communicate with the change? Do you have to create a profile for it? 

3DSolex was the original distributor of the Olsson Block for the UM2. I have had a number of UM2 nozzles and other UM2 spare parts from them over the last years and was always happy with the quality. As I do not have a UM3 myself, I can't say how it exactly works with their print core.

I suggest you contact them directly if you need more information than what you find on the web site. They have been very helpful in the past when I contacted them. 

• Like 1

I have two UM3 Ext machines each equipped with 3DSolex nozzles.  I have used all three of the nozzles that I purchased ( 0.25, 0.6 and 0.8 ) with success.  I did not purchase the 0.4 as the original print core was that size.  The sizes you are looking for are now available.  I'm in the U.S. and purchased mine through the GR5Store http://www.thegr5store.com/

Changing the line width was all that was necessary for Cura to make the necessary adjustments for processing PLA.  I can't speak to the requirements for processing other materials.

• Like 2

When you get up to 1mm and larger you also want the 3dsolex "race" technology which means the filament flows through two paths inside the nozzle to heat the filament more thoroughly.  3dsolex has a 1mm race nozzle and a 1.2mm sapphire nozzle (which is expensive).  I was going to say you could drill it out to 2mm if you wanted but that would be difficult because it would be too easy to remove the internal structure inside the nozzle.  I guess if you had a drill press and went in from the tip and went slowly.

Maybe you could ask 3dsolex to make you a 1.5mm or 2mm custom nozzle.  The guy there, carl, is busy but loves to come out with new products (much to my dismay).

1 minute ago, gr5 said:

When you get up to 1mm and larger you also want the 3dsolex "race" technology which means the filament flows through two paths inside the nozzle to heat the filament more thoroughly.  3dsolex has a 1mm race nozzle and a 1.2mm sapphire nozzle (which is expensive).  I was going to say you could drill it out to 2mm if you wanted but that would be difficult because it would be too easy to remove the internal structure inside the nozzle.  I guess if you had a drill press and went in from the tip and went slowly.

Maybe you could ask 3dsolex to make you a 1.5mm or 2mm custom nozzle.  The guy there, carl, is busy but loves to come out with new products (much to my dismay).

Wicked! Thank you. Asking for a custom made nozzle will have to wait though. I just shelled out £££ on this new Ultimaker 3 Extended printer and I think I will have civil war at home if all the other stuff are cancelled. ?

You can possibly get a custom nozzle for free - 3dsolex is always creating new products and you can be the beta tester.  Tell him you want a 1.5mm or 2mm nozzle or whatever it is you want.

Oh wait - you didn't say you had a UM3.  You would need to at least buy a hardcore so you have a place to put the nozzle.  So, if you can't afford a hardcore right now then... nevermind.  But if you were thinking of buying an AA 0.8 and haven't bought one yet, then get the 3dsolex hardcore instead!

On 6/6/2018 at 9:30 PM, gr5 said:

Oh wait - you didn't say you had a UM3.  You would need to at least buy a hardcore so you have a place to put the nozzle.  So, if you can't afford a hardcore right now then... nevermind.  But if you were thinking of buying an AA 0.8 and haven't bought one yet, then get the 3dsolex hardcore instead!

I can get one now but, will contact him about making the hole bigger first. ?