ABS settings how?

Ghene

Posted · ABS settings how?

Sorry to be a pain but my attempts to print with ABS ended up in a pile of blobby spaghetti. I can't seem to raise the printbed is by default at 80C

Did you select ABS as a material in Cura?  It should set the bed hopefully to 110C.  I find that 100C is too cold for ABS.

Or do you mean the goal temp is 100C but the bed only reaches 80C?  In this second case I recommend covering the front and top of your printer.  I mean I don't know how to print quality abs more than 2mm above the glass without heating the air inside to at least 35C and to do that you need to cover front and top.  If you raise the air by 15C you should be able to heat the glass another 15C hotter as well.

I'm very lazy so I just took a 1 gallon plastic food bag and taped it to the front of the machine and took one of those cardboard boxes that holds photocopier paper and it's the perfect size to place on top of the printer (no tape required - no modifying required).  The nice thing about those boxes is it leaves a gap in the rear for the bowden to come up in through and the amount of air that can leak out is small enough to raise air temp to 35C if room temp is 20C.

Make sure fan is off or no more than 3% for ABS.  If you have fan at higher value the print will look great and feel great until you break it and realize it's very weak along layer lines.

You can't print on plain glass.  You need ABS juice (google it) or thin layer of pva.  For example put down some glue stick (which is pva) and then take a wet tissue and remove most of the glue and spread it around, when it dries it is almost invisible.  Prefect for ABS.  Also make sure you use the brim feature in cura.

Why ABS?  It's a pretty difficult material.  It's not really any stronger than PLA (it is slightly tougher but UM TPLA is just as good).  And if you need higher temp material maybe CPE/PET/nGen will work for you (work fine up to arond 80C).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Why ABS?  It's a pretty difficult material.  It's not really any stronger than PLA (it is slightly tougher but UM TPLA is just as good).  And if you need higher temp material maybe CPE/PET/nGen will work for you (work fine up to arond 80C).

Generic setting is NOT at 110C. I created a duplicate and adjusted the settings. Hopefully, this will work out.

Why ABS? Because I saw a nice looking pink filament only available in ABS and I want make something with it. If it proves to be more trouble, I'll go back to 752933108_ScreenShot2018-06-08at19_33_42.thumb.png.b0ee521f80def94ac542ee44bb877290.png

• 10 months later...