More Connectivity the Ultimaker 3

BairdB

Posted · More Connectivity the Ultimaker 3

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to view and connect to your Ultimaker 3 from anywhere in the world!  I do not like how the limited Ultimaker app is especially limited because it has to be connected to the same network that the Ultimaker 3 is connected to, I wish there was a way to connect the my Ultimaker through any wireless connection.  To my knowledge, this is not currently possible without hardware modifications (for instance, adding Octoprint), but I may be wrong.  If anyone knows a way of contacting the Ultimaker 3 from a network other than the network that the Ultimaker is connected to, please let me know.  Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · More Connectivity the Ultimaker 3

GCODEPRINTR

Perhaps you could find an alternative solution to the problem with this Android app from a German developer. As far as I understand it, the app is able to extend many different 3D printers in connectivity and functionality. I do not have much experience with this app yet, but the feature list is impressive. However, GCODEPRINTR requires at least one old stationary Android device with permanent USB connection to the 3D printer and an additional IP cam app.

Here is an excerpt of the product description and the link to the app on GooglePlay:

GCodePrintr enables you to use any Android tablet or phone as a touch screen for your 3D printer and to run 3D prints without the need for having a PC running. With the intuitive UI interface you can always see what the print status is (e.g. remaining time) and modify print parameters (speed, temperature, etc.) during the print. Your Android device can also act as a web server to allow you to start a print remotely or watch the print status.
    IMPORTANT: Before buying this version make sure that your printer connection works with the free version: GCode Simulator (Free).

See 3dprintapps.de for more information.

★ 3D Printing features

Control your 3D printer from your favorite Android device and print 3D objects
    ✔ 3D Printing from any Android device - PC less printing
    ✔ Connect to your 3D Printer over USB (USB-OTG Adapter required) or wireless over Bluetooth.
    ✔ Control the 3D printer with your touchscreen (X/Y/Z movements, homing, fan, temperature, etc.). 
    ✔ Load your own gcode file (local file, network, web upload, Gdrive, Dropbox) and start a print from your Android device.
    ✔ Support for SD Card printing (upload, list files, autostart print)
    ✔ Easily modify speed during print and see how it impacts the print time.
    ✔ Web interface to view print status and Camera picture (Camera permissions required)
    ✔ Remotely stream the video of your builtin webcam (requires IPWebcam App)
    ✔ Works with many 3D printers (Reprap, PrintrBot, Ultimaker, Renkforce, Velleman, Anet, Tevo, Robot3d, Multec, etc.) 
    ✔ Works with multiple firmwares (Sprinter,Marlin,Smoothie,Repetier)
    ✔ Support for various printer options (bedsize, baudrates, flip x/y axis, checksums, etc.)
    Only in the paid version:
    ✔ Ad free
    ✔ Dual Extruder Support
    ✔ 20x User defined macros 
    ✔ Favorite macro button for quick access
    ✔ Recover print function
    ✔ Web interface to remotely start prints

★ Visualization and Simulation

GCodePrintr can visualize gcodes and simulate a 3D print. It recognizes the print speeds and simulates the print in real time, but can also speedup the simulation(fast forward). 
    Each layer is painted in a different color to see how a layer overlaps with the layer below.
    ✔ Layer by layer visualization and simulation
    ✔ 3D View
    ✔ Show estimated print time 
    ✔ Show remaining print time
    ✔ Show weight and cost of the printed object
    ✔ Show speed of X/Y/Z movements and extrusion (min/max/average)
    ✔ Show Print object dimension and required filament
    ✔ Show details of each layer
    ✔ Multiple UI Themes
    and more

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dietzm.gcodesimulatorprinter&hl=en

My guess:
    If the Android device is equipped with a valid SIM card and a data plan has been booked, then it should be accessible from anywhere in the world.

Or the Android app connects to your home network and uses a globally accessible IP address.

All this should be possible ?

Edited by mnis

Since the UM3 has no user-accessible USB host/serial connection (only a USB slot meant for storage devices), that won’t work.

Edited by ahoeben

I had not considered this. So it may be complicated to use a non-Ultimaker software to manage the printer.

It should somehow be possible to integrate the Ultimaker App from outside into a home network using VPN, or something like that?

Anyway, I found something here about Ultimaker 3 & networks:

Good luck

Edited by mnis

On 6/9/2018 at 10:34 PM, BairdB said:

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to view and connect to your Ultimaker 3 from anywhere in the world!

Yes, this would be nice and has our attention but to make it easy will be considerable engineering effort and is not top priority. Be patient.

For now, my best guess is to setup a VPN connection to you printer's network.

What do you mean by setting up a VPN connection to your printer's network, how would that help?

Cura and the Ultimaker app are scanning your (local) network for the presence of a printer. VPN (virtual private network) is a method for connecting two (remote) networks together so they appear as one. How to configure this very much depends on the network hardware you have, on some routers it is easy, on most devices however it requires serious technical skills because of security related issues.

I think I will look into doing this, is there anything in particular that I should research?  Can you give me a topic other than 'VPN connecting networks' to look up?

I can confirm the VPN solutions works very well. In my home network I use a "fritzbox" router, that has a very easy to setup VPN option. Look in your router manual or google the router type you have. I run the VPN from my android phone to connect the Ultimaker app, Look at some webcams in my printroom (use motioneye on a Rpi for that) and control a powerplug (WeMo) to be able to kill a printer (never needed it but to be sure..)

Edited by ultiarjan
    • Like 1

When searching for info on setting up a VPN you have to know the brand&model of the routers on the two networks. Use those as keywords when searching for VPN setup help.

Edited by CarloK

Thanks everyone, all of this has been very helpful!!!