NEWBIE! Ultimaker S5 - Detected move outside of normal printer volume

bedpan

Posted · NEWBIE! Ultimaker S5 - Detected move outside of normal printer volume

Brand new to all of this.. Making my way through....

Trying to print https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2825552

Its a extension so that I can mount my ipad on my Phantom controller..

Print gets about 1/4 of the way in and stops with the error: Detected move outside of normal printer volume

I am bringing the STL in CURA 3.41 and going with more less default options. Although I did try a second and third print and varied the layer height. With a larger layer height I did get a little further into the print but it still stops with the same error. After the error I need to powercycle the printer.

I have print a couple other small jobs successfully..

Thoughts folks? 

Again my apologies I am just learning my way around these things. 

Could you post your .curaproject.3mf file and I would be happy to look at your setup.

To make sure you get the right file format, use save project and not the regular save. The .curaproject.3mf file will have all  your settings and the model plus its location and such.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Could you post your .curaproject.3mf file and I would be happy to look at your setup.

To make sure you get the right file format, use save project and not the regular save. The .curaproject.3mf file will have all  your settings and the model plus its location and such.

This is the one that is currently printing... Trying some more stuff ?

I noticed I had Cura set to PLA while we have Tough PLA loaded. I was getting an error message while starting to print (from usb). I thought it was saying the project was calling for Tough PLA and we only had PLA.. Turns out I had it backwards.. Anyways I spent some time with CURA and noticed it can pull the filiment type from the S5.. So its now set to the right kind......

So trying that with with a network print now instead of USB.

Anyways if its not to much work here is the file. If not I can advise in the morning if it works or not.

UMS5_iPad_Bracket_10in.curaproject.3mf

Had a look.. The print finished successfully. Not sure if it is selecting the correct filament that is loaded or coincidence.. I will keep playing.. Sorry to raise the help flag a little to early!!

Mike

1. No need to raise the help flag. This is new and a bit unnerving when you get things like that.

2. Glad it finished ok, but I do not see how those things can make that big of a difference....maybe someone with better tech knowledge can shed some light on that one.

But, I did have a look. What I feared was that the object was too big for the build plate in just one tiny area. I have done that trying to push size limits. This was not the case with your file. Below is a screen shot from the slice I performed using your settings. The thing to look at is the dark blue travel lines. they stay inside the model printing area solidly and should not be giving an issue not matter the media to print with or the method of delivery (USB, Wifi, ethernet, etc) but again, it has never been an issue with my prints. And, I routinely use a profile for a material that comes very close to the needs of an alternative material that is not in the system per se. PETG would be an example. I use a nylon preset and then adjust a few things to match the printing specs. This is routine ops for oddball materials. Oddball, meaning just not a preset profile yet. I just override the objections and it has always printed well.

I do know you can dump the logs for some tech guru to look at if you wish by going to the system part of the S5, maybe maintenance....mine is printing and cannot check during a live job, but it will dump the logs to a USB and then someone can examine them.

StandTest4bedpan.thumb.jpg.ad3b6a4b4902ee3643ac8408b7708f63.jpg

And, as an example of tech gurus knowing better, I just saw this comment from @gr5 in another posting and he mentions print out of area issues. That is a good place to learn something and he is just a volcano of knowledge. I am constantly learning new things from his posts.

4 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

1. No need to raise the help flag. This is new and a bit unnerving when you get things like that.

2. Glad it finished ok, but I do not see how those things can make that big of a difference....maybe someone with better tech knowledge can shed some light on that one.

But, I did have a look. What I feared was that the object was too big for the build plate in just one tiny area. I have done that trying to push size limits. This was not the case with your file. Below is a screen shot from the slice I performed using your settings. The thing to look at is the dark blue travel lines. they stay inside the model printing area solidly and should not be giving an issue not matter the media to print with or the method of delivery (USB, Wifi, ethernet, etc) but again, it has never been an issue with my prints. And, I routinely use a profile for a material that comes very close to the needs of an alternative material that is not in the system per se. PETG would be an example. I use a nylon preset and then adjust a few things to match the printing specs. This is routine ops for oddball materials. Oddball, meaning just not a preset profile yet. I just override the objections and it has always printed well.

I do know you can dump the logs for some tech guru to look at if you wish by going to the system part of the S5, maybe maintenance....mine is printing and cannot check during a live job, but it will dump the logs to a USB and then someone can examine them.

I have not looked at the print yet, I just checked remotely and saw it completed printing. Just read your other post about gr5.. Crappy USB may well be it. Makes me want to try it again with another stick.. The other thing I changed is the successful one was a network print vs. from USB. Could be related as well..

I have a MP Select 2 I just got at home. The kids and I are learning it together. My 10 year old designed a printed a dice with engraved numbers. My daughter is printing a her lucky numbers attached to a post.. So very cool to introduce them to this stuff. 

I found myself looking at so many things today thinking.. I could print something to fix that.. 

I will do some more testing tomorrow if time allows and post back.

again thanks!

Mike

• Like 1

You are welcome and, also....a bit late....Welcome to the boards!

Ahhhhhh this is the coolest stuff to do things with kids. They are just ripe with imagination and bravery....none of this adult crap we can get mired in. But, you are not that way.....you experience this joy with your kids and that is just so cool ?

You should really probably send it back.  I think the only thing that can cause the "print out of volume" error is an electrical error in communication between the linux PCB and the arduino PCB.  The linux PCB is sending gcodes to the arduino and some bits are getting flipped.

Either that or bad gcodes from cura which is extremely unlikely unless you are printing within a few mm from the edge of the print volume.

What happens is the cable that connects these two computers can get spurious bad bits and a G1 X200 can get changed to a G1 X900 and since the print volume is less than 900mm (0.9 meters) it gets the error you reported.

Are you printing over network or through USB flash drive?  If you are printing over USB then it could be a bad connection there as well.  But I doubt it.

Failed prints were via usb. Success was via network.. I will play with it when time allows and confirm.

thanks!

Mike

Posted (edited) · NEWBIE! Ultimaker S5 - Detected move outside of normal printer volume

I'm no newbie, but I'm getting this problem now as I used to in the beginning and its only happened when I've moved the object on the build plate in cura. something is wrong there for certain. for me it stopped on a fixable model which is ok. My problem with cura is that if you click on the object you automatically move it by accident if you use a wacom. Alternatively, it could be the wacom that injecting false positioning code? who knows, but i forgot to rotate this one to its default position and it failed at 99%. all my objects are within build plate volume. i ran out of filament on this one too, but i doubt that's got anything to do with it. i'd like this to be fixed.

ill try network next when i move the object.

20181007_212618.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend

8 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

its only happened when I've moved the object on the build plate in cura.

I constantly rearrange my models in Cura and do not run into this. And I really push boundaries of the build volume.

Also, what version of Cura?

• Like 1

Im on 3.499 still but it did it with the one before that as well. Im thinking either my wacom tablet is causing it or its because my models import in tiny and then i scale them up by 4500%? Maybe that creates weird stuff that cura dont like? But i find it strange its only happened when ive moved objects. Im so scared of getting it i just leave everything in the center now!!! Id love to figure it out onc3 and fof all, possibly the usb transfer or something. Ill try network printing next and deliberately move stuff around. But i dont want to wait 24 hours for each test?

you definitely push the boundaries @kmanstudios!!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

you definitely push the boundaries @kmanstudios!!

?

Its probably my poor modelling. I need to start modelling to scale. Scaling up by 4500% or 7500% seems weird to me. I have bad habits i need to change.