Marlin Builder replacement

ginge

Posted · Marlin Builder replacement

Hi guys,

Just a reminder that I am looking for people to test the replacement marlin builder software.

I have also added a basic template system so you can preconfigure some of the options such as heated bed etc.

I would like to know if your generated configuration.h file matches your configuration correctly.

http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/

I have tested this on my recent ultimaker with heated bed and ulticontroller. Combinations of the above features work well. However heed the warnings on the page!

Bugs, issues etc are welcome.

Once this is stable I can start work on better templates, a wizardy thing, more machines and nicer site.

ginge

Hi Ginge,

I used your marlin builder, nice easy tool, but just one thing :

while it seems you can set the printing platform size with "Software Endstops" "X, Y, Z", afit ter verification doesn't change anything in the "Configuration.h" file which still write the default Ultimaker print platform values :

// Travel limits after homing

#define X_MAX_POS 205

#define X_MIN_POS 0

#define Y_MAX_POS 205

#define Y_MIN_POS 0

#define Z_MAX_POS 200

#define Z_MIN_POS 0

I mean, I tried to use it to configure an extended print platform version of my Ultimaker without having to run through Arduino (which I don't understand).

I don't think he's following this topic but I told him this morning and thanked me for the info. I'll post back here when he replies that it's fixed.

I don't think he's following this topic but I told him this morning and thanked me for the info. I'll post back here when he replies that it's fixed.

Ok now I unerstand what you mean about following the topic!

I'm not used to that mechanism in a forum... normally you start the topic you get replies!

I am now following this.

The firmware works on my machine with a print platform of 44 x 44 x 43 cm, when using experimental templates.

Does this Marlin Versions created by the Builder show the Time an Object udes for printing or the Time since Starting to print an Object? I observed that in the Versiones installed by CURA it only displays the Time since Start, which I don't believe is very useful.... It's better to display the Time used to print an Object, or am I wrong?

The latest version of ErikZalm marlin branch shows the time taken so far to print the object.

Hi Ginge,

will the Builder support dual extrusion soon? I use my Ultimaker wiht two Heads and an selfmade Heatbed, and i have troubles to get a proper firmware...

I recommend you use the builder to make a Configuration.h that is close, then take that file and add it to the latest ErikZalm build and edit configuration.h to add the dual extruder options. Or maybe you should take Daid's version of Marlin - not sure.

Anyway building Marlin is surprisingly easy. It comes with an instruction file. You download and install the Arduino IDE which is a gorgeous GUI. You install the other stuff in the instrucitons, click the checkbox and you have a hex file (it's hard to find but google helps you through all these steps). Then use cura expert settings to upload the hex file. Or let the IDE upload marlin for you.

Or you can do it the hard way (but every step explained in detail) here:

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/05/03/building-marlin-from-scratch/

Once you've built Marlin once, it takes seconds to change a setting in Configuration.h and rebuild it.

Thanks gr5, good advice.

I will look at adding the dual extrusion support this weekend.

Dual extrusion support is now added to the builder.

I have also added a template for selecting heated bed, ulticontroller and dual extrusion. Let me know if this doesn't cover your combination and I will add the template.

I have verified the correct settings are applied, but I only have one extruder on my machine so you will need to verify.

Hi, tried to use it but currently there are no templates in machine selection and option configuration shown in the drop down boxes...

"Hi, tried to use it but currently there are no templates in machine selection and option configuration shown in the drop down boxes..."

Strange! Do you have a javascript enabled browser?

The template selector is really just a shortcut. All you need to set is "Second Extruder temperature sensor:" setting to get dual extrusion.

Works for me. I actually saw this behavior recently - maybe a week ago. I just loaded it in a different browser and I was fine. But checking it in all 3 of my browsers it's fine now.

If it happens again I'll pay more attention to the browser and will check the browser for javascript errors or errors loading js files.

@ gr5, thank you for the hint - opended the page with firefoy, everything´s ok - opening it with IE, nothing´s working.

Seems to be an issue of the IE/Java @ my company's PC...

Which version if ie?

Ok, tested it also at my home PC - same issue, no templates in drop down boxes.

I have IE 9 installed with Java 7...

I just installed win 7 in a VM to test... It has ie9 on there.

The first page load showed nothing in the dropdowns, but as soon as I enabled the debugging console, annoyingly they worked!

Let me look into this some more.

Hi

What's up with the PID debug output?

The box is there, but i cant choose it.

It was broken in the git tree shortly after I implemented the frontend in the builder. At this time it is disabled, but the backend code is there for future use.

I will check with Daid to see if his patch ever made it to Marlin

I think this only works in Daid's tree as it was an experiment for him to figure out how to get the PID control logic to work better (for cooling second head in dual head). It was useful because he found a bug in the PID code that had always been there. The bug *is* back in the ErikZalm branch but not the code to read back the PID terms to Cura.

You can build yourself using Daid's branch though. But I don't know if it is worth it.