Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit, Material Feed Motor Backwards

michelide

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit, Material Feed Motor Backwards

Hi All,

I recently built up my Ultimaker 2 with the extrusion upgrade kit from ultimaker and found that the stepper motor for the material advancing is moving the motor in the opposite direction. Instead of taking in filament it actually turns in a way that pushes the filament out. The result is that I cannot load material through to the tube to the extruder or print with the material.

Do I need to reverse wires at E1 on the PCB (BE/PK/GN/BK) or can I reverse the direction of the motor in firmware? I'd rather not have to mess with the firmware as I would have to adjust it for all new versions to be installed.

Best Regards,

Dean

Edited by michelide

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit, Material Feed Motor Backwards

This is a firmware issue. 

The Ultimaker 2+ runs the feeder in the opposite direction from the Ultimaker 2, so if you install an extrusion upgrade kit, it's critical to update the firmware to the Ultimaker 2+ firmware.

I'm not sure what you mean. The Ultimaker 2/Ultimaker 2+ only has one feeder, so if you update the firmware for the printer to the right kind (Ultimaker 2+ now), it should run the feeder in the right direction. 

Ah. I hadn't realized you had installed a second extruder. Definitely check with the dual extruder thread. I think if you have to, you could swap two of the cables on the motor, to get it to go in reverse, but not knowing your set up, I'd hesitate on that.

One way to swap direction is to swap 2 of the 4 wires.  Pick either twisted pair and pop out those two (you need a jewelers screwdriver - push down in the square hole and it should slide right out if you push down hard enough - there's a tab that keeps it from sliding out) and put them in the other way. Don't forget how they were!  I recommend taking a picture first.  Or writing down the color that was on the outside.  It doesn't matter which pair you swap.  If you swap both pairs it will go back to the original direction again.

I'm not sure if you can have different steps/mm on each axis.  Probably you can in the tinkerMarlin for Mark2 firmware.  Probably in all the dual versions of tinkerMarlin you can have different steps/mm.

Thanks for the help. I ended up going with tinkerware and adjusting the feedrate and direction in the firmware. It is working as expected. If I had simply adjusted the direction with the wires on the motor there would have still been a feedrate issue.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit, Material Feed Motor Backwards

And just to be clear. With tinker firmware you can just change direction directly in the menu. No need for complicated firmware changes.

Edited by ultiarjan

Yes that is correct however I am having issues using both extruders in a print. There are two versions of the firmware and I still have to try the other one.