Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
michelide

Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit, Material Feed Motor Backwards

Hi All,

I recently built up my Ultimaker 2 with the extrusion upgrade kit from ultimaker and found that the stepper motor for the material advancing is moving the motor in the opposite direction. Instead of taking in filament it actually turns in a way that pushes the filament out. The result is that I cannot load material through to the tube to the extruder or print with the material.

Do I need to reverse wires at E1 on the PCB (BE/PK/GN/BK) or can I reverse the direction of the motor in firmware? I'd rather not have to mess with the firmware as I would have to adjust it for all new versions to be installed.

Best Regards,

Dean

Edited by michelide

One way to swap direction is to swap 2 of the 4 wires.  Pick either twisted pair and pop out those two (you need a jewelers screwdriver - push down in the square hole and it should slide right out if you push down hard enough - there's a tab that keeps it from sliding out) and put them in the other way. Don't forget how they were!  I recommend taking a picture first.  Or writing down the color that was on the outside.  It doesn't matter which pair you swap.  If you swap both pairs it will go back to the original direction again.

I'm not sure if you can have different steps/mm on each axis.  Probably you can in the tinkerMarlin for Mark2 firmware.  Probably in all the dual versions of tinkerMarlin you can have different steps/mm.