It wasn't even really tangled as such... Just that the winding pattern, allied to the tight radius of curvature, and the tendency of the filament to find the shortest possible path around the spool meant that the filament tended to get caught on other loops. The extra friction needed to dig it out of any loops that it was catching on was enough to tip the extruder drive over the edge.
In the end I moved the reel to the floor on a turntable, and pulled off a bunch of loops of plastic to hang in mid air, so the print could finish without needmimg to unwind more.
That same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I fixed it by pulling the filament out of the bowden, undoing the tangle and feeding it back through. But it ruined a print. The problem was relatively obvious when it happened.
Link to post
Share on other sites