Ultimaker v3, best extruder replacement ?

Posted · Ultimaker v3, best extruder replacement ?

Recently after 2 weeks I got Ultimaker I start getting problems with extruder drive ;/, simple it isn't so tight like it should be (PLA 3mm as ABS 3mm seems to be free from those problems)...

I noticed lots of nice extruders drives models on our favorite site... Now main question is which extruder drive will fit new Ultimaker V3 (end of July) ?? Most of those extruders drives is from last year...

Appreciate any help :)

Are you talking about the hot-end or the extruder on the back of the machine?

Hot-end: I guess the E3D hotend looks really interesting, but my stock hotend is perfect at the moment - no issues at all...

Don't know about the extruder on the back, mine works fine as well for now.

Extruder is a bit of an odd name. What you are looking for is the feeder part. (extruder is actually the feeder+hotend)

Ok to be more precise extruder drive....

From description I think is clear that I want to change onto extruder drive which will handle without issue 3mm PLA/ABS...

Current one isn't good for me (like most of parts on UM, I'm changing most of it including cr*** hot end block and axis blocks)...

But I like light weight hot end...

Do you mean literally 3mm, as opposed to 2.9mm? I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for, either. The stock extruder basically handles 3mm PLA and ABS without major problems, especially if you pay attention to the sustainable feedrates, and head pressure.

If the issue is handling slightly larger filaments, then the only thing that is really needed is a Bowden tube with a slightly wider inside diameter, and possibly drilling out the teflon insert at the hot end as well.

Ok to be more precise extruder drive....

From description I think is clear that I want to change onto extruder drive which will handle without issue 3mm PLA/ABS...

I don't have particular issues with handling 3mm, but it seems that lock from tightening roll is already too weak to make appropriate pressure on some filaments...

So backing to questions is there any extruder drive for v3 ????

Are you sure you are securing the lever, and thereby locking the feeder mechanism?

Please watch this video @ 0:36:

I think any UM-compatible extruder drive should work, as the only requirement for the extruders has ever been that they shove the filament into the Bowden tube (and optionally hang on the back of the printer in the slots), and I don't think anything has changed about the specs of those interfaces in a long time.

That said, I really don't think you need a replacement extruder. Possibly something is broken about yours, in which case you can repair it (probably under warranty, if its a new printer). But most likely you just need to learn to use it correctly, and understand the printer's limitations.

The stock extruder definitely has some limitations if you're pushing the boundaries of materials and speeds. But to get to that point, there's a lot of other things to tweak to get to the point that a better extruder drive is going to make a difference (once the stock UM one is working right). So rather than focusing on a different extruder, I'd recommend trying to understand exactly why the current one is giving you problems.

The amount of extruder drive problems have seemed to diminish with the later UM upgrades. I would tend to take Illuminarti's advice about focusing on what the specific problem is.

That said, I had some trouble with Ver 1 or maybe it was Ver 2 so I tried out the one designed by Geo Hagan http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15897 and my troubles went away. If I add a secondary, or have troubles with the one I have, I like the designs based on the MK7 drive pulley. One possible disadvantage with the G.Hagen design is the larger dia drive results in less effective force to extrude with. Again, no problem for me. There is also a lower resolution when extruding. I am running an E value of 315 whereas the stock is something like 862. No detectable problem there either...

Matt

If you're having problems with your machine, I think the extruder drive is probably not the source of the problem, unless it is assembled incorrectly. I have 3 machines running with the same version of the extruder drive as you and they work very well on filament diameters of 2.7-3.4mm, ABS, PLA, Acetal, Nylon. We have made other mods to our machines, but the extruder drives have been kept stock. I agree that there are improvements that could be made, but there are many things I would upgrade on our machines before spending time on the extruder drive.

Exactly what problems are you having?

Are you sure you are securing the lever, and thereby locking the feeder mechanism?

Please watch this video @ 0:36:

Yes I'm doing that ;)

Well first problems show's up after I finish print... Oozing is so big that I can't start print unless I extrude 20-30mm of filament, also in nozzle is building up some kind of blockage which after few tries will just get out....

There is problem with grinding (filament isn't pushed as bolt is just grinding filament)... I have problem with 1 particular PLA filament (no problem with ABS or original PLA)...

A different extruder isn't going to affect oozing particularly. If anything it will make it worse, because you'll end up running at higher pressures rather than just stripping the filament at the cold end.

It's really not hard to either turn the extruder gear by hand a bit, or change the start gcode to extrude more in the home position. In general, extruding plenty at the start is a good idea, so you flush out any cooked PLA that's been sitting in the nozzle a while (which might be the cause of the 'blockages' you mentioned?).

What's different about the one filament that causes problems? Does it perhaps need higher temperatures, or is the diameter very variable, so it's tending to get stuck? What is the length of the spring on the back of your extruder? Is should be about 11-12mm when the extruder is locked, and the coils shouldn't be totally compressed together. Also make sure that that the delrin ring in the extruder is turning smoothly, and isn't damaged, and that the strongest, right-most part of the knurling on the drive bolt is in line with where the filament passes.

Well with new filament orange ABS 3mm it start grinding a lot (well on 1h print there were 8 layers without filament as extruder driver were grinding filament, if it fails 1 layer it will fail whole print)

When you press it by hand it is working... I can't go further with pressure bolt....

Spring is compressed to 12.7mm

I have a similar "problem" with my compression spring. Mine is 15-16mm long, not nearly 11mm as they always say. Can't screw in the bolt any further.

With the silver PLA that came with the UM I don't have any problems, tough...

Maybe try using a shorter bolt? That's what I'd do if I had problems (might happen to me, too with another filament...)

Thanks for help. For now I just using hand to help it, there is no need to create new model of it for UM as I'm making own 3D printer (UM along with other printers is just bought to see what are the biggest issues)...