Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Yarcich

Error Issues - S5 unit keeps saying material is empty

I have a S5 and it initially worked well with printing PVA material.  Now every time I run a large print it keeps giving me the error "One of the materials appears to be empty".  There is plenty of material on the spool and it doesn't appear to be jammed in anyway.  This only occurs with Ultimaker PVA material (PLA works fine).  I tried opening up the feed casing to see if I could adjust the tension of the feed system but this did not seem to have any real effect.  I spoke to a colleague and he had similar issues with PVA but not as often.  I can only print for 20-30 minutes before I get the error again.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  If so, is there a solution or workaround?

I haven't gotten that error but possibly it's from the filament sensor?  If so you can disable the filament sensor for that particular extruder.

Although when it's working it's great as it can save you from a failed print where simply reload another spool of filament and continue.