Cura software and Raise 3D Pro Plus

Shelton

Posted · Cura software and Raise 3D Pro Plus

They aren't entirely different and for what you want to do they are very similar. 

This is for Windows.  The Definition file will go in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.1.0\share\cura\resources\definitions

And the two extruder files go in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.1.0\share\cura\resources\extruders

Raise3D makes an IDEX printer I don't know if that is one.  Cura does not directly support IDEX however you can install multiple instances of a printer each with a slightly different StartUp Gcode.  One would be for conventional printing, one for Duplicate (M605 S1), and one for Mirror (M605 S2).  You would need too exercise do care when placing the model on the Cura build plate.

• 1 year later...

The directory structure is different but the names remain the same.  In Windows the folders are in:

C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.5.0\share\cura\resources.  Then it's the "definitions", "extruders", and "variants" folders.  You might have "quality" files as well.

windows

Posted (edited) · Cura software and Raise 3D Pro Plus

Can you install any printers in Cura?  All of the information for all of the 300+ printers is in the resources folder.  If you can load a printer, the folder must exist.  If no printers are available then it might well be a bad installation.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

Thanks everyone, problem solved.

Thanks GregValiant and everyone else involved.

I was able to get this up and running on my Pro 2 Plus.

The only setting I have that is behaving weirdly are some of the speeds.

For instance, with settings of 100mm/s outer wall and 120 mm/s inner wall, I am instead getting what appears to be, 2 passes of 50 mm/s inner wall speed, followed by 100 mm/s outer wall. After that it actually does a single line of the infill at speed, and then drops into a slower pace.

My best guess is that this is either some form of translation issue for how it reads some gcode commands, or some sort of more experimental setting that got turned on somewhere?

When viewing the gcode in both Ideamaker and PrusaSlicer, it shows the speeds I put in, so presumably its something to do with the machine. 

It's not a hard limit though, it gets up to speed, but just in the wrong order. And I've printed at these speeds on this machine out of ideamaker.

If anyone has some advice or experience getting all the settings to behave correctly it would be much appreciated.

I've never seen any problems with the way Cura puts the speeds in.  I just did a slice with your numbers and 100 outer wall and 120 inner wall is what showed up in the gcode.

Cura does take the "layer time" into consideration.  If any layer is going to take less than "Minimum Layer Time" the speeds will be adjusted downward until "Minimum Speed" is hit.  At that point Cura won't make any further downward adjustments.

The speed modifier is M220 S and the S parameter is in percent.  Make sure you have an M220 S100 and M221 S100 (flow rate) in your StartUp Gcode.  If you happen to have tuned the flow and/or feedrate during a previous print those two lines will ensure that the printer sets itself back to default when a new print starts.

I had to make this cube larger so it wouldn't bounce off the Minimum Layer Time.

image.thumb.png.631d7c7fc96cc6a1179c344000abcabd.png

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

Thanks for the quick response. And just in general, I see your advice in like half the forum posts I read.

I looked back at the start and end gcode I have been using and I only see M221 T0 S100, should I add a line above that reads, 

"M22 T0 S100" ?

I'll investigate minimum layer time as well.

Cura_Raise3d_Startup.thumb.PNG.26e885846846ccaa037ef81c0f858731.PNG

Ha!  I'm retired so I check the computer numerous times a day.  I'm also not shy.

It's odd that they are re-setting the "flow" for Extruder 1 but not Extruder 2.  I recall that the firmware is different, but I don't recall exactly how it differs.  The only Raise3D machine I fooled with was the E2 IDEX printer.

If you happen to do a test print (calibration cube or something) then add the additional lines of code.  For right now if it's printing well (other than the speed thing) leave it alone.

For a test print - directly below the M221 T0 S100 I'd put:

M221 T1 S100

M220 T0 S100

M220 T1 S100

Like I said, these are just safeties that are there to ensure that the printer starts with it's defaults, and not with some random manual setting that was made during a previous print.

"Minimum Layer Time" is in the Cura "Cooling" settings.  It's function is to slow a print down so each layer has time to harden before the nozzle comes back around.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

I agree with not changing too much while its working.

The weird part for me is still that when reading the gcode in other softwares it shows the speeds I want. It just doesn't do so on the printer.

I can try adding in your M221 and M220 commands, but another thing I saw I could add is an M203 command, something like this, and if so where in the startup Gcode should I place it.

M203 E? X130 Y130

Would this be a reasonable explanation for how the Gcode seems to be correct, but the machine doesn't want to follow the specified speeds?

This still wouldn't address the fact that its also doing slower speeds for the inner walls and then faster speeds for the outer walls, but if it was at least listening to my speeds, I could just put the numbers in backwards and let it mirror them so it would be correct. 

Another thing I realized is the printer profile I built is adapted off the N2 Plus which may have had lower limits that are somehow affecting this.

The printer knows what it's maximums are for the feedrate and acceleration on each axis.  If you have Printerface installed and a USB connection to the printer, you can send M503 and the printer should respond with it's settings.  This is my printer response:

Untitled.thumb.png.04a073a86870608813c4b76ad4bfc7e2.png

You can put that M203 line anywhere within the StartUp Gcode.  I would suggest you do it like this:

M201 X1000 Y1000

M203 X250 Y250 Z45 E50

and see how it goes.  That M201 line will set the Max X and Y accel to 1000 and the M203 will set the Max feedrates for each motor.

Sorry if it feels like I'm pestering you, I do appreciate your help, and in part I am venting my frustrations.

I'm running a long print so it will be a little bit before I can test this, but I was dealing with prints taking about 1.4 times as long as predicted, so that's why I'm so concerned about how slow its going, Id rather my 24 long prints not take 34 hours.

I don't have that setup at the moment but I will look into it. However, I am fairly confident that I have met or exceeded the values I am asking it to do on gcode coming out of ideamaker.  

I will test your Start Gcode when I get the chance. Is it ok for me to not define the M203 Z and E, since those haven't seemingly been problems yet I don't want to mess anything up.

If it was purely just a problem of not being able to exceed a certain speed, wouldn't both the inner and outer walls be going at the same maxed out speed? Instead the sequence each layer is

- 2 inner walls seemingly at 50 mm/s

- 1 outer wall seemingly at 100 mm/s

- the first straight line of (gyroid) infill will be at speed, 100 mm/s

- then the rest of the infill will be at a slower speed, presumably back around 50mm/s

And this is all in spite of the Gcode to the best of my parsing all showing the correct values. Its almost like the machine is trying to read the speed values from somewhere else.

Its just observational but it seems to be using a slightly wrong version of the Cura calculated speeds, in that it appears to be doing the two wall speeds as multiples of each other, albeit in a wrong order, and seemingly independent of the value I set as overall print speed, instead sticking to the default 100 mm/s.

Edited by coro2

If the speeds are within your Printer Definition file as formulas (like "inner-wall speed = Print Speed / 3") then you will get them jumping around as they re-calculate.  If you over-ride a speed by simply entering a value, then it becomes disconnected from the "parent" setting.  To re-connect a "child" you would use the "fx" icon next to the setting.

Yes, M203 is max speed for each axis and doesn't care if it is an outer-wall, inner-wall, whatever.  They are dependent on each other though.  If the speed of an extrusion is faster than the E parameter in M203, then the speed of the XY would be limited because the Extruder would not be allowed to keep up.  That doesn't happen often, but nozzle size can affect it because the flow rate is affected.

"A lot of science goes on in the little space below the nozzle." - Me

If you open a gcode file in a text editor (like Windows Notepad) you will see "F" values in the lines.  That's the feed rate and is in mm/minute.  Divide them by 60 to convert to mm/sec.  They should mostly match up with your settings in Cura.

Edited by GregValiant

I'd just like to pop in here and say that unless you're using specialty high speed PLA, you shouldn't be printing this fast. A lot of spools of filament will list on the side the recommended speed. For regular PLA, it's usually around 50-70mm/s (I go at 60, unless I'm doing something with fine details).

By default the "print speed" setting in Cura will do the infill at that speed (not so bad if it doesn't quite print right since it should be invisible to the outside, assuming you have enough walls and shell layers) and everything else at half that (if you ask me, it should do everything at the print speed entered, except make the infill twice that or whatever).

• Like 1