2+ extended restarting during print

ClausJ

Posted · 2+ extended restarting during print

Recently my printer started shutting down and restarting during print. In addition the led light flickers periodically. It looks like there is not enough power because if I turn the heated bed off the restarts don't occur allthough I still notice the lights flickering. I already changed the heating element of the printhead but the problem still persists.

I gather from other posts that the problem might be the power supply or the motherboard. Og course just changing parts is easy but expensive. Is there any way to diagnostic this?

Thanks in advance

Claus

I'm surprised nobody from Ultimaker wants to help me out here. So am I supposed to start changing every piece in the machine one by one? Surely there must be a way to diagnose it?

Thanks

Claus

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a response! Petre, I removed the motherboard from the failing machine and brought it with me from France to Denmark where I have another Ultimaker. I also brought the power supply from the failing machine. I installed both the motherboard and the powersupply in the non-failing Danish machine and it worked flawlessly. So that rules out the previously changed heater, the power supply and the motherboard. My Danish dealer suggested it was the LED strips but I disconnected them from the motherboard which did not prevent the fail so they can be excluded too.

I’m wondering if anybody from Ultimaker would care to give me a hint. SandervG?

2 hours ago, ClausJ said:

I’m wondering if anybody from Ultimaker would care to give me a hint

Don't get me wrong, but i think you are asking at the wrong place...

This is a forum for the community and it is unlikely that someone here can solve your hardware problem.

All official support for end-users is done by the resellers and distributors of your country. You don't mentioned if you already have tried the official way?

You can ask here too of course, but how likely is it that you get qualified answers from other users...?

Your chances are much higher if you pass the question (or the machine) to your reseller (IMHO).

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · 2+ extended restarting during print

I agree, only I bought the printer in Denmark and moved it to France. Of course I could pack it up and send it away for repair which would be costly. And with all the spare parts available the whole concept is that these things are user repairable, as long as you know what’s wrong. Anyway I don’t expect any help here so I’ll stop bitching about it. When I get back to France in 5 months I’ll send it off.

Edited by ClausJ

Your reseller should still be able to help you with diagnostics, even if you've moved. The issue could be the heated bed, or the power supply. I have seen once instance where someone shorted out their rear fan (they pinched it against the metal plate) and had a similar issue. Do you have another power supply to try for comparison? As a community forum here, people do try to help each other, but for the fastest results, I do recommend reaching out to your reseller. 

Erin, I appreciate your input. My reseller told me to disconnect the LED's which I did and then told me to bring it in which is difficult since I bought it in Denmark and moved it to France. As I wrote in my post I did test the power supply on another machine so it's ruled out. At first I changed the heater because the wires had become exposed and would accidentally short circuit. However reading your post I should probably try to disconnect one of the fans that has a slightly damaged wire. I did not think it was damaged enough to give me the error but it's worth a try.

It's definitely worth a try. I'm sorry I missed the part about having tried the power supply already.

Hi ClausJ, I think I have the EXACT same issue as you described. It happen to me quite suddenly, just today. Yesterday it was still printing fine.

I have been able to record it: 

It is not always as reproducible as in the above video. Sometimes it also fails in the middle of a print. In my case no wires are exposed nor for the heating bed, nor for the fans. But I could reproduce it with this sequence:

1) Heating nozzle to 200ºC: LEDS were not flickering

2) Max fan speed 100%: LEDS were not flickering 

3) Turning heating on of build plate: 40ºC --> LEDS start to flicker; 80ºC --> I got a power failure.

I can only print when the building plate is off.

I have contacted my reseller, but they are closed until Nov 20. So no answer here. I'm thinking of build plate failures. Did you already try to change the build plate? 

To be curious: how old is your UM2+? Mine is about one year old (still under warranty). Maybe it is a bad batch?

Thx for your answers.

Mcrubens,

my Ultimaker is from june 2016 but since it's located in my summer recidence I only use it half the year.

I did not change the build plate but I did try printing with heating off and I still got the failure. Sorry that I can't confirm your theory.

Just watched your video, your problem seems different than mine. My prints dont fail right at the beginning, it always starts printing and shuts off randomly even just before the end of a print.

I,m having  the same thing !...its printing for a few seconds ...then the printer restarts suddenly .

Its a um2+ 2016

Does anybody know whats wrong ?

My prints also don't stop always right of the beginning. The video above just showed the way I reproduced it. 

I have contacted my dealer and they suggested 2 things: 

1) check the hardware limits of the build plate (it should be 60ºC). I never touched this setting and I sure don't know how to change it. 🙂 

2) I had to take a picture of the power supply. So maybe it is a failing power supply. In attachment is a photo of the label of my power supply. 

I will keep you posted when I get more info. 

IMG_2317.jpg

my problem solved by buying a new power brick also👍

Same problem.

I tried all of the suggestion…

The printer restart if I try to print anything !!

@jies You got a new power brick?  That made no change?

I can confirm gizmo999. I bought a new power supply myself (24V 320W) just few days ago. I didn’t stick with the one supplied as I’m still waiting for its replacement (under waranty). The printer works now again :-D 

So, I finally got back to my printer in France and changed the two fans, one of the wires had been pinched during during one of my numerous services to the printhead and some of the metal inside had become exposed. While I did not think it would be a problem as long as it did not touch anything, changing the ventilators actually seems to have fixed the problem.

Glad it's up and running again!