Power consumption

Kerat

Posted · Power consumption

Just did a quick test... used a WeMo powerplug to measure actual usage.

Standby, about 22W

Heatup from cold, around 401 W (just a few minutes)

When bed is on temp, and heating nozzles; +/- 230/240 W

During printing; fluctuates around 160/170 W

Did the test using the normal PLA profile, meaning BED temp 60C, in at room temperature (20c)

Obviously it wil be influenced by the ambient temperature, if you put the machine in a cold shed it will use more power.

Also if you print some material like ABS with a higher Bed temp, it will draw more power.

And ofc multi vs single extrusion will have a effect, but my gut feeling says the bed temperature is the biggest chunk.

• Like 5

Also can you please tell me using average setup for S5 how many grams/kg of PLA does it extrude in 1H or 1 min. 

I basically want to know what is the average print speed of S5 on the PLA material and also if you know for others materials (like ABS, PC, TPU)

I think this makes no sense, it depends heavily on the object you print and which settings you use to print. Every model is different and everyone has other priorities regarding print settings.

What I mean, if you get here some values, they are quite useless for someone else.

Here is a idea for you, download Cura and pick the s5 profile for the printer and load some of the models you wish to print and see what the print time and cost says. Don’t forget to edit the filament costings in Cura. This way you get a idea of time and cost it takes to print the items you are likely to be printing and at the settings you wish to use.

Great idea, so you can see "your" values which is more accurate for your estimations.

Thank you guys for the answers, i will try to find out using your ideas.

I need it for a business plan that i want to make , so this kind of information is very important ?

I know that this thinks can different from a print to another, but i need to explain this kind of stuff to people that are not in 3D printing .

...business plan...

...to people that are not in 3D printing...

Fully understand - good luck ?

It is really hard because the print times and amount of material are so different. For example I print a really big sculpture which is nearly as big as the build plate and it takes 15 hours. Then I print a small technical part which is compared to the print before very small and it takes 8 hours. So you cannot calculate just from the size of the object or take an average amount of time and material usage. 

If you don't want to install Cura, you can also try some online service where you put a STL file (search something similar you want print an thingiverse) and most services will show you a calculated print time and material. Not so accurate than Cura with the exact printer profile, but an alternative if you don't want to play with Cura.

And remember, no business plan tells 100% the truth or in other words, never trust a business plan you have not faked before ?

• Like 1

Thank you for advice an help.

I did it using Cura, puting  1kg of an cubic design for the printer we want (U5) compared for the printer that i have right now, and showed them what is the difference in time but mentioning that it can be different from print to print

On 11/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, Smithy said:

And remember, no business plan tells 100% the truth or in other words, never trust a business plan you have not faked before ?

I know, thank you for the advice again, it has 160 pages, explaining what i want to do, how  and when , and it's 99% truth, hope it will be good and i will be more implicated in this comunity ?

Also sorry for the bad english ?

You are welcome and let us know about the outcome on your project.

Hi Everyone,

Bit late here for this post, hopefully someone can still feed some information.

Wonder if these values are for standalone S5 or the Pro bundle?

Would it change much with the Material Station and Airflow Manager?

thanks