Ultimaker s5 rebooting when on network

LonRobinson3

Posted · Ultimaker s5 rebooting when on network

I have an Ultimaker s5 that has had a problem since the day we took it out of the box. When the printer is on the network and we try to connect to it with Cura, the printer goes into a reset. It is just as if someone has turned off the power. It runs fine when printing from USB, as long as it is not connected to the network.

I have sent it in to the service group in the USA for testing and they did not find a problem. After sending log files that were passed to the developer, I got the following response:

It looks like the issue has to do with the way the network data is being logged in the printer's memory, which is causing it to run out of space. This issue should be resolved with the next firmware version.

I waited for the firmware revision, and updated the firmware today. I also downloaded the latest version of Cura. (3.5.1)

After the updates, the same problem persists. When I try to print from Cura, or even just connect to monitor the printer, the printer shuts down and reboots.

Does anyone else have this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

I am on a large network in a production facility with hundreds of other devices. We use DHCP, the printer and computer are on the same DHCP server with similar IP addresses.

I have posted earlier about this issue, and that post can be read here:

Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to offer!!

Lon Robinson

Ugh... a truly frustrating situation Lon.

Two things;

1. What version of Ultimaker Cura were you using prior to 3.5.1?

2. You stated that you operate within a large DHCP pool; can you have your IT person do a MAC address assignment so as to create effectively a static IP within the DHCP pool.

It would also be a good test, to check if it behaves the same if you are connected via wifi, but I guess this will not be possible in your company?

I have mine connected via ethernet cable and haven't noticed any restarts yet, so I assume it is not a general problem.

15 hours ago, Shadowman said:

Ugh... a truly frustrating situation Lon.

Two things;

1. What version of Ultimaker Cura were you using prior to 3.5.1?

2. You stated that you operate within a large DHCP pool; can you have your IT person do a MAC address assignment so as to create effectively a static IP within the DHCP pool.

Thank you for the input.

I started with Cura 3.4.1, later updated to 3.5.0

I tested with 3.5.0 after the firmware update, then upgraded to 3.5.1 when 3.5.0 had the issue.

I started working with my IT group to assign the address to the printer. It is pulling the same  IP address each time I restart, (10.10.101.82). but we are going to assign that number to the mac address so it will be basically static.

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

It would also be a good test, to check if it behaves the same if you are connected via wifi, but I guess this will not be possible in your company?

I have mine connected via ethernet cable and haven't noticed any restarts yet, so I assume it is not a general problem.

Thank you for the input,

I am told it is not a general problem, so I am reaching out to see if anyone else has it and has perhaps found a work around.

The wifi tests I have done so far have not allowed me to see the printer online at all. I have asked our IT group to create a user in active directory with the same name as the printer. Hopefully this will allow the printer to access our main wifi network. I have only been able to put it on the guest network so far, and I think that is why I can not see it from the main wifi network.

1 hour ago, LonRobinson3 said:

I have asked our IT group to create a user in active directory with the same name as the printer. Hopefully this will allow the printer to access our main wifi network. I have only been able to put it on the guest network so far, and I think that is why I can not see it from the main wifi network.

I assume your network uses 802.1x for network authentication, that's also a reason you need an user in AD. As far as I know, then printer is not able to use 802.1x protocol, but not 100% sure. So it could be that you cannot connect to the corporate wifi. But your IT group should know that and maybe they have other possibilities to bring the printer temporary to the wifi network.

In guest networks client/client connections are normally denied, so also when you put your computer in the guest it will normally not work due a network/security restriction.

But another idea: Ask your IT group if they can provide you a small network switch and put the switch between your wall plug and the printer. Sounds strange, but try it if possible, maybe the printer has problems communicating with your corporate switch - any incompatibility or whatever.

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I assume your network uses 802.1x for network authentication, that's also a reason you need an user in AD. As far as I know, then printer is not able to use 802.1x protocol, but not 100% sure. So it could be that you cannot connect to the corporate wifi. But your IT group should know that and maybe they have other possibilities to bring the printer temporary to the wifi network.

In guest networks client/client connections are normally denied, so also when you put your computer in the guest it will normally not work due a network/security restriction.

But another idea: Ask your IT group if they can provide you a small network switch and put the switch between your wall plug and the printer. Sounds strange, but try it if possible, maybe the printer has problems communicating with your corporate switch - any incompatibility or whatever.

Thank you for the input,

I have an understanding of computers, but not that deep. Is the 802.1x for both wifi and ethernet? I'm sure the IT group will know, but I am asking for my personal knowledge. You make a very interesting suggestion if that is the case. There is a switch in my department the includes our security cameras and some of our networked printers, but not the 3d printers. Because of the physical location of the s5, I doubt the ethernet line runs through this switch, it probably goes direct to IT. I could run a separate line direct to this switch. I believe it has a fiberoptic connection to the main switches in IT. 

Would this work, or should I use a small switch with nothing else on it? Is there a way to determine if the s5 can use the 802.1x specs? In all of the conversations I have had with tech support, they have not mentioned this possibility.

802.1x can be used for both wifi and ethernet, depends on your network. It is basically a protocol, where network access is given based on your user profile. So if someone external connects to your ethernet he will get only internet access, but if you connect and log in with your AD user/password, then you will get anther VLAN to access to whatever you are permitted.

Beside 802.1x it could also a "normal" WPA2 enterprise connection, here you also need an AD user to authenticate against a Radius server. But Ultimaker printers cannot connect to this either, because you can only select a wifi SSID and a password, but you have not possibilities to enter a username/password combination which is needed for WPA2 enterprise and 802.1x.

Wifi was just an idea to check if it is working with wifi, ethernet is always better, because the camera feed from the UM printers are stuck and slow if streaming via wifi - so no end solution for you.

Regarding switch, it depends. If the problem is your department switch and you are now also connected to it, then it would be better to try it against an other switch or put a small switch between. But it could also help to try a direct connection to the printer. 

There is no logic in it, so just a few ideas what I would try and test. Sometimes IT is not rational explainable ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

802.1x can be used for both wifi and ethernet, depends on your network. It is basically a protocol, where network access is given based on your user profile. So if someone external connects to your ethernet he will get only internet access, but if you connect and log in with your AD user/password, then you will get anther VLAN to access to whatever you are permitted.

Beside 802.1x it could also a "normal" WPA2 enterprise connection, here you also need an AD user to authenticate against a Radius server. But Ultimaker printers cannot connect to this either, because you can only select a wifi SSID and a password, but you have not possibilities to enter a username/password combination which is needed for WPA2 enterprise and 802.1x.

Wifi was just an idea to check if it is working with wifi, ethernet is always better, because the camera feed from the UM printers are stuck and slow if streaming via wifi - so no end solution for you.

Regarding switch, it depends. If the problem is your department switch and you are now also connected to it, then it would be better to try it against an other switch or put a small switch between. But it could also help to try a direct connection to the printer. 

There is no logic in it, so just a few ideas what I would try and test. Sometimes IT is not rational explainable ? 

Thank you, perhaps I could test by bypassing the network all together and running a cat5 network cable direct from my macbook straight to the printer. could I do a direct connection? or should I connect both to a router with nothing else on it?

18 minutes ago, LonRobinson3 said:

Thank you, perhaps I could test by bypassing the network all together and running a cat5 network cable direct from my macbook straight to the printer. could I do a direct connection? or should I connect both to a router with nothing else on it?

The LAN connection won’t validate the WiFi issue; how about using a portable hotspot? You could connect both your laptop and printer to the same hotspot network.

At least this way you will have isolated the WiFi portion of the equation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadowman said:

The LAN connection won’t validate the WiFi issue; how about using a portable hotspot? You could connect both your laptop and printer to the same hotspot network.

At least this way you will have isolated the WiFi portion of the equation.

I'll try that Monday, I should be able to use my phone as a hotspot. This will test the wifi connection and allow me to see if I get the reboot issue on wifi. Thank you for the suggestion!

7 minutes ago, LonRobinson3 said:

I'll try that Monday, I should be able to use my phone as a hotspot. This will test the wifi connection and allow me to see if I get the reboot issue on wifi. Thank you for the suggestion!

You are welcome 

Please update us.

Takes care.

44 minutes ago, LonRobinson3 said:

Not out of the box, you would need a cross connected cable not a normal one, but then you don't have a DHCP service running and you cannot configure a manual IP address on the printer, so this will not really work or not without much effort.

But I like the idea of @Shadowman with the wifi hotspot on your phone, it is the easiest solution you could try first. You just have to check if the clients are isolated on this hotspot or not (don't know how the phone hotspot handle those things) because when isolated, your macbook will not find the printer and has just internet access.

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Not out of the box, you would need a cross connected cable not a normal one, but then you don't have a DHCP service running and you cannot configure a manual IP address on the printer, so this will not really work or not without much effort.

But I like the idea of @Shadowman with the wifi hotspot on your phone, it is the easiest solution you could try first. You just have to check if the clients are isolated on this hotspot or not (don't know how the phone hotspot handle those things) because when isolated, your macbook will not find the printer and has just internet access.

Thank you both, @Smithy and @Shadowman for the suggestions. I will try them on Monday when I get back in the office and let you know how we progress.

Your are welcome and keep us updated please....

3 minutes ago, LonRobinson3 said:

Thank you both, @Smithy and @Shadowman for the suggestions. I will try them on Monday when I get back in the office and let you know how we progress.

Sounds good and you are welcome.

I do use the phone as a hotspot from time to time however, when traveling I use a small dedicated hotspot such as this.

A30B7BF0-E328-4571-A8FE-48D0217AAC48.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker s5 rebooting when on network
    26 minutes ago, LonRobinson3 said:

Deleted 

Edited by Shadowman
    Additional

15 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Your are welcome and keep us updated please....

If you are interested in seeing the issue, this is a link to download a video of it happening. https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/GYjrMqUwOM

Just now, Shadowman said:

MAC or Windows based computer?

Did you say MAC earlier?

I am on a Mac running high Sierra. My Engineers are on windows 10.

All of us have the same issue.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker s5 rebooting when on network
    16 minutes ago, LonRobinson3 said:

I am on a Mac running high Sierra. My Engineers are on windows 10.

All of us have the same issue.

I deleted my earlier comment because I was wrong; you can’t be on WiFi and broadcast WiFi at the same time.

So back to the original plan.

Use your phone and hotspot connect to your laptop and the printer and see if they can see each other.

If not; connect your laptop via LAN to your office network and then use the hotspot feature within the laptop to connect to the printer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/214053/how-to-turn-your-mac-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot/amp/

For your information; if you have access to a Windows 10 based laptop then you can;

Use your phone to hotspot to the laptop and then broadcast WiFi for the printer; this would be the ideal situation.

”Windows has a useful feature that allows you to create a virtual Wi-Fi adapter interface, making it possible to both connect to a Wi-Fi network and create a Wi-Fi hotspot using the same physical network interface at the same time. This feature is hidden, but you can access it using the Virtual Router software—this uses the same Windows features as Connectify, a commercial application. Macs unfortunately don’t have the same sort of virtual network interface feature. To share a Wi-Fi connection over Wi-Fi, you’ll need a separate physical Wi-Fi interface.”

Takes care.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

Lon

Here is what my IT Guru said;

1. Try the phone and see if both the laptop  and the printer can see each other; neither of us know as we have never tried it.

If unsuccessful below are 3 options.

2. Use a hotspot device such as the one I shared in the picture as we know this will work.

3. Grab an Access Point or Broadband router; maybe a used one laying around and plug it in ( is doesn’t need to be anything fancy) but don’t connect to the office network but rather you will connect your laptop to it via LAN or wireless and then connect your printer to it wirelessly.

4. Create an ad hoc connection between the laptop and the printer. The draw back to this is it is command prompt command driven so you need to be comfortable in this arena and must be undone once the testing is completed.

Takes care.

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

Current Windows computers provide that feature with a standard LAN cable, no crossed cable necessary due to network cards which can switch the lines. I always use a standard ethernet cable when I demonstrate the connectivity on a customer's site where no WiFi/Ethernet connection is available yet. As far as I have been told it's the same for Macs.

• Like 1

Update to this situation????