Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
DavidSL448

Elephant foot in Cura slicer, please help?

Hello! First time posting here. I've used Cura ever since I got my printer, and I've never looked back :)

I'm having an issue, and I'm not sure how to fix it. The first layers of my solids are being sliced in a way that I get an "elephant foot". Note that I don't mean I'm getting an elephan foot in my actual print, I know how that can be fixed with some tinkering; I mean the first layer in the slicer is made wider. I'm attaching a picture of a sliced solid to show what I mean. A wall that should be vertical from bottom to top is wider in the first layer.

Is this expected behavior? If it is, is there a way to disable it? I made sure that the first layer height is the same as the rest of the print, and that the first layer thickness is 100%.

Any help is appreciated!

Solid.PNG

Layers.PNG

My first thought was also that you have "initial layer horizontal expansion" set to something greater than zero.  I usually set that to a *negative* value to get rid of elephants foot.  Setting it to a positive value will just make the foot worse.

Regarding the "initial layer horizontal expansion", it's set to 0. I could "fix" this problem by setting this setting to -0.1, but I'm guessing something must be wrong elsewhere in other setting.

I'm attaching my project file in case anyone can take a look. Any help is appreciated!

MPTI3_Case.3mf

Edited by DavidSL448