Colorfabb - Color on Demand

SandervG

Posted · Colorfabb - Color on Demand

Colorfabb makes PLA Color on Demand available to Ultimaker users via our material alliance in Cura. 
You can access all available materials via Cura > Marketplace > Materials. 

Are you curious about others experiences using PLA Color on Demand or do you have any other questions regarding this filament? Feel free to post them below. 

Some links you might find useful:
Technical Data Sheet

Safety Data Sheet
How does it work

Not a question, but my experiences.

Colorfabb offers a really great service! I sent a request for a new color to them last Friday and got today an email with a picture of the first attempt to match the requested Pantone color. And the match is nearly perfect!

Very impressed! 

• Thanks 1

Beware computer colour matching, it is normally not reliable. Their service offers an an injection moulded block in your colour, which is a fabulous service. For UK users and probably others they will translate Pantone codes into the European RAL/REL codes (one of those two!)

• 1 year later...

I've added the ColorFabb materials from the marketplace, and it's apparently sent the materials to the printer (S3). However, it does not appear in the list of materials I can select -- there are other ColorFabb materials, none of which are supported with the AA print core.

When I manually override the material to colorFabb Color on Demand in Cura, the profile menu switches to 'Not supported'.

Attaching screenshots showing the 'CFF' materials on the printer, and the not supported message in Cura. (Newest S3 firmware and latest version of Cura.)

Am I missing something please?

ultimaker S3 -- colorfabb color on demand not listed.jpg

ultimaker S3 -- colorfabb color on demand not supported.png

Posted (edited) · Colorfabb - Color on Demand

The CFF matrials are the generic Carbon Fiber Filled materials.

Look out for "Color on Demand Generic". It's probably called like this.

Btw. Is there a special reason why you put the PVA into print core 1 and the main material into printcore 2? While it is possible and should theoretically give the same result, you probably get slightly better results the other way round as this is what people usually test materials profiles with.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

6 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

The CFF matrials are the generic Carbon Fiber Filled materials.

Look out for "Color on Demand Generic". It's probably called like this.

Btw. Is there a special reason why you put the PVA into print core 1 and the main material into printcore 2? While it is possible and should theoretically give the same result, you probably get slightly better results the other way round as this is what people usually test materials profiles with.

Good to know re CFF, thanks!

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the list prefixed with 'Color on Demand'. Attached shows the material plugin in Cura. It shows fine in Cura, just not on the list of materials on the printer (checked and double-checked!).

For now I set it to Generic PLA, and used the settings listed under Print Settings for Color on Demand in the Manage Materials menu. I guess that should work okay.

No particular reason why I have them swapped around. I think I was switching between PVA and a second PLA material, and it was somehow more convenient to leave the PLA on printcore 2. I'll swap them back around, thank you for the advice!

color on demand cura.png

Maybe this has something to do with it:

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials/colorFabb_team/colorfabb_colorondemand

The Ultimaker S3 isn't listed as supported?

Yes, that might be the key. I was btw. referring to the material selection on the printer but looked it up on a S5.

1 hour ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Yes, that might be the key. I was btw. referring to the material selection on the printer but looked it up on a S5.

Gotcha, thanks! I reached out to colorFabb support. Maybe they can update the plugin.

21 hours ago, donogh said:

Gotcha, thanks! I reached out to colorFabb support. Maybe they can update the plugin.

The plugin got a update today, so maybe its fixed for you now on the 3S, i know it worked fine on the s5

27 minutes ago, Carla_Birch said:

The plugin got a update today, so maybe its fixed for you now on the 3S, i know it worked fine on the s5

Yep, thanks Carla. I've been in touch with colorFabb support, Gijs has been super helpful. He just informed me of the same 🙂

• Like 1

Anyone have any thoughts on how I might improve this please? It's using the default settings for the Cura profile for Color on Demand, plus the change on Z extension, starting at 240C and finishing at 190C. (3mf attached.)

The recommended temperature is 210C. 200C seems a lot better, but the right edge/ridge is only correct at 240C.

Anything else I could try, please?

S3 colorFabb Color on Demand -- Temperature Tower 3.jpg

S3 colorFabb Color on Demand -- Temperature Tower 1.jpg

S3 colorFabb Color on Demand -- Temperature Tower 2.jpg

S3 colorFabb Color on Demand -- Temperature Tower.3mf

As a follow up: it seems 200C is the ideal temperature, at least for my S3 and for this color.

Attached is an end result, printed with PVA support.

colorFabb Color on Demand Model.jpg

On 6/27/2020 at 4:11 PM, donogh said:

but the right edge/ridge is only correct at 240C.

I don't think the reason is the temperature itself, but that the 240C part is the lowest one. So in this special model the fans are cooling probably better at the bottom near the glass, cool air get reflected, than on the top.

But I am just guessing.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:10 PM, Smithy said:

I don't think the reason is the temperature itself, but that the 240C part is the lowest one. So in this special model the fans are cooling probably better at the bottom near the glass, cool air get reflected, than on the top.

But I am just guessing.

That makes sense, thanks Smithy, good insight!