ErenUenal

Roll of filament not straight

Posted (edited) · Roll of filament not straight

Hello dear community! 

I bought a cheap roll of filament just to try it out. Then I baked it to dry it, because it was very moist. But now it is not straight any more, there are only a few points where it is not straight, but it disables the flow. Is there a way to fix it, maybe with a hairdryer? I hope you can see it on the picture. 

Thanks, Eren! 

15447301227092093322198.jpg

Edited by ErenUenal
Wrong word

Posted · Roll of filament not straight

No, I don't think so. You probably baked it too hot or your oven cannot hold a stable temperature. 

You can only unwind some meters and check if it just the beginning.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Smithy said:

No, I don't think so. You probably baked it too hot or your oven cannot hold a stable temperature. 

You can only unwind some meters and check if it just the beginning.

It's not just the beginning :( But I try to fix it. I use a hairdryer to heat it up a little and a PTFE tube to straighten it. Had this idea one minute ago, but it would take hours. I don't think that the China roll is worth it. But it works and thanks for the reply! 

1544734921159-2003171413.jpg

2 minutes ago, ErenUenal said:

Had this idea one minute ago, but it would take hours.

A project for a long weekend 🙂 

• Like 1

I would not use a hair dryer: this tends to melt the filament, and then it shrinks in length but becomes much thicker in width. Similar to when you heat a piece of plastic above a flame (without it catching fire): it shrinks into a ball. This may actually worsen the problem.

I would rather ply the kinks in the opposite direction by hand, very carefully. Or ply that bend in the opposite direction around a tube or something similar, to not overdo it. In my experience, it does not have to be perfect, but just good enough to not cause too much friction in the bowden tube and nozzle anymore.

11 minutes ago, geert_2 said:

I would not use a hair dryer: this tends to melt the filament. 

It just makes it kinda like soft, it does not really melt it. That worked fine and I had no issues. It will just take some time... :) 

1544789482579-281119830.jpg