New at this...

ruffnec

Posted · New at this...

I recently purchased and received (3 days ago) my first 3D printer, a CR10S Pro and Im having issues already. Im downloading print files from thingiverse and slicing them with Cura. I have printed 5 or 6 simple prints but my printer wont recognize anything I really want to print. Ive tried deleting them and reloading and reslicing; tried restarting PC, printer and programs; checked to make sure I have the recent firmware for the printer (1.60.3); tried plugging the printer into my PC via the supplied USB cord but Cura will not recognize the printer is connected. Im lost and not very sharp with this sort of thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted · New at this...

Welcome @ruffnec,

a few questions:

• Do you use the software package for Windows that came with the printer or a different version of Cura?
    • The instructions from Creality are basically: "no driver - use the provided sd-card to print the generated gcode files",
      does this not work either?
    • For the USB connection on Windows 7 you have to install the provided FTDI drivers, i have no clue what is needed for other operation systems

BTW: "Ultimaker 3D printers" is probably the wrong category for this question... wouldn't it be better to move it to the Cura forum?

Posted · New at this...
    5 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

BTW: "Ultimaker 3D printers" is probably the wrong category for this question... wouldn't it be better to move it to the Cura forum?

Correct, thanks, post moved.

• Thanks 1

Posted · New at this...
    1 hour ago, goose_busters said:

I had tried to print a train whistle and started to print in mid air for the final top layer and I couldn't finish the print. how do others do it? 

I think you should explain your problem a little bit, I have no idea what your problem is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · New at this...

I have had a multitude of issues with my CR10S Pro as well.  Here are some things that may help:

1. Make sure to do the bed leveling. I had a bunch of things not stick because of this, but the instructions do not go far enough. Do all the steps they show you (.2mm metal wedge, knob level, mesh level) THEN take a flat square and try to print it. I used the floors from the HO scale cottage found here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/architecture/ho-scale-cottage and just printed the first layer. Make sure there are no gaps and that the filament extrudes nicely across the whole first layer, then you can cancel if you don't want the print.  I found this step HUGE in getting prints that both stuck and were evenly extruded.

2. Make sure your file names have no special characters in them and they are on the root of the card. For example, "Boat&Plane", "Boat+Plane", or "Boat_Plane" do NOT work, but "Boat-Plane" does as long as it's in the root.

3. You WILL have to adjust your retraction settings. I had o move mine from 2mm to 4.5mm or the stringing was so bad the print was unusable.

#2 is probably the one you most care about immediately, but without the others, you will get consistently useless prints.

Now... If I just knew how to import the settings that Creality provides into Cura, I'd be ahead of the game! 🙂

Good luck!!

Edited by hatfira