Ultimaker 2 Damage

paps

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Damage

Hi guys,

My Ultimaker 2 (upgraded to 2+) fell and got damaged. I wrote the below email to info@ultimaker.com but I did not receive any reply.

Perhaps someone can help or offer a suggestion. Bottom line, I'm looking to buy the housing panels of the printer and try and replace them with the damaged ones.

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

Happy New Year!

Now, my Ultimaker 2 (upgraded to 2+) fell and took a tumble.

The result as can be seen from the photos below is a wonky, misaligned frame.
The parts that I believe have been damaged are the front, top and side panels. I'm not sure about the axes or other parts.

What I would like to know is if I can purchase the housing panels of the Ultimaker 2 and whether you can provide any tips, suggestions, options
as to how to repair my printer successfully. I already have the assembly manual from github.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stelios
IMG_20190102_190611.jpg
IMG_20190102_185842.jpg
IMG_20190102_185648.jpg
IMG_20190102_185641.jpg
IMG_20190102_185609.jpg
IMG_20190102_185555.jpg
IMG_20190102_185549.jpg
IMG_20190102_185408.jpg
IMG_20190102_185327.jpg
IMG_20190102_185323.jpg
IMG_20190102_185309.jpg
IMG_20190102_185300.jpg

Best is to contact your reseller, where you also can get all the spare parts you need. Ultimaker itself doesn't sell directly.  You can check the Ultimaker website to find the nearest reseller in your country.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

Best is to contact your reseller, where you also can get all the spare parts you need. Ultimaker itself doesn't sell directly.  You can check the Ultimaker website to find the nearest reseller in your country.

5 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

I second what Smithy said. Would it help if we could see your pictures? I can't seem to get them to display.

Thanks for the replies! I'm attaching the pictures separately.

Fortunately, there are two resellers in my country (Cyprus). I'm curious how the process works though, as I don't expect the resellers to stock parts like a housing frame. For instance, do I contact and request the parts and in turn they order the parts from Ultimaker? I'm wondering whether you guys have any insight on how the process works...thanks.

IMG_20190102_185300.jpg

IMG_20190102_185309.jpg

IMG_20190102_185323.jpg

IMG_20190102_185327.jpg

IMG_20190102_185408.jpg

IMG_20190102_185549.jpg

IMG_20190102_185555.jpg

IMG_20190102_185609.jpg

IMG_20190102_185641.jpg

IMG_20190102_185648.jpg

IMG_20190102_185842.jpg

IMG_20190102_190611.jpg

I don't know about the procedure, so I won't comment on that.

Have you tried loosening all frame-screws (not removing, just set loose) and realign everything, and then fix them again? If there would not be too much permanent deformations in the panels, this might work? (Maybe except for the top panel, which seems deformed.) The assembly manual should give info on how to align things, I guess?

After that, I think you also need to inspect the rods carefully: when *manually* rotating them, do they move smoothly without wobbling, and without getting stuck? (Don't force anything if it doesn't move smoothly and easily.)

Also, test if the electronics, motors, heaters and display still work? Manually heat up nozzle and bed, and "move material" to test the feeder?

Good luck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geert_2 said:

I don't know about the procedure, so I won't comment on that.

Have you tried loosening all frame-screws (not removing, just set loose) and realign everything, and then fix them again? If there would not be too much permanent deformations in the panels, this might work? (Maybe except for the top panel, which seems deformed.) The assembly manual should give info on how to align things, I guess?

After that, I think you also need to inspect the rods carefully: when *manually* rotating them, do they move smoothly without wobbling, and without getting stuck? (Don't force anything if it doesn't move smoothly and easily.)

Also, test if the electronics, motors, heaters and display still work? Manually heat up nozzle and bed, and "move material" to test the feeder?

Good luck.

Hi, thanks for the reply and suggestions!

I didn't think about loosening the frame screws, I assumed they will be interconnected with other 'critical' parts? I'll give that a shot. But I did think of disassembling the whole printer and then trying and aligning the frame panels individually somehow. Herculean task, at least in my mind though, so I thought about asking here first and see.

And of course, careful testing is needed as you suggest. Right now I think the printer is electronically operational but obviously not mechanically, the rods do get stuck... 😕 

Based on the wrinkle you can see in the panel in the back left corner, the top panel definitely needs to be replaced. It's possible that replacing the top panel and loosening the side panel screws will be enough to get the front panel sitting flat again, but I can't guarantee it based on the photos. It's possible the front panel is no longer square; you could take a right angle tool to the top and check it out.

Your reseller probably doesn't have the parts in stock, but if you reach out to them, they should be able to order them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

Based on the wrinkle you can see in the panel in the back left corner, the top panel definitely needs to be replaced. It's possible that replacing the top panel and loosening the side panel screws will be enough to get the front panel sitting flat again, but I can't guarantee it based on the photos. It's possible the front panel is no longer square; you could take a right angle tool to the top and check it out.

Your reseller probably doesn't have the parts in stock, but if you reach out to them, they should be able to order them.

Thanks Erin, that's a good advice to try out. Indeed, top and front panel took most of the strain from the fall. Maybe I can replace just those two and be operational again.