Force Cura to print objects separately

Nicolinux

Posted · Force Cura to print objects separately

I have a combined .stl file where I'd like to print each object individually (but in one go) in order to reduce stringing. I have clicked on the object in Cura and selected "split". I then arranged all objects to fit the bed. But Cura still sliced it in such a way that all objects are printed as one.

Is there a way to force Cura to print every object individually?

It will print them all at the same time if any part you are printing is taller than the 'gantry height' declared in Preferences. This is because if they actually are taller than the gantry height, then the cross rods sliding around may hit an already printed part.

The default gantry height is 60mm for a UM. Make sure that yours is set to that, and that none of your parts are taller than that.

Have you ever had any situations where you would find it advantageous to print multiple prints at the same time layer by layer?

With multiple very small parts (or parts with large numbers of small layers), it's sometimes faster to print them at the same time, layer by layer, because the print head doesn't need to slow down to provide time for the layer to cool.

I often print 35 to 40 small parts on a "sheet" for our commercial products. Some simple parts print reasonably well as fast as 300 mm/sec travel and 250 mm / sec solid infill (solid only in a few places) and loops (mostly loops / hollow parts) using 0.12 mm layers / 0.5 mm nozzle, but they don't cool enough--even with my more powerful replacement fan blasting away at full speed (and this is ABS)! Then the tradeoff becomes stringing (print all at once) or slowing down to print them one at a time with enough time for the layers to cool.

Well... Getting that first layer is tricky. Even though I've levelled my bed many times and I'm pretty good at it, sometimes I screw up a corner. And it's nice to see that right away instead of when it starts the 5th part on the print bed. But on the other hand I can just abort and create a new gcode file with parts 1-4 missing...

The other issue is when I do print multiple parts at once in one-at-a-time mode, when it goes to print the second part it seems to extrude for no good reason right over the center of the next part. When it starts doing that first layer it sometimes has some filament dragging around with the print head. Or sometimes it "poops" right onto or next to the spot for the part to be printed next.

Again, you can always abort and remove from Cura the parts that printed fine.

That's a problem for me too. I had quite a few failed prints when I try to print individual objects at once (one after another). The first would print fine but the next may not print the first layer well enough and when I come back to the printer I find an enormous plastic blob around the nozzle and one single object...

But glad to see that's related to bed leveling because this can be tweaked.

Btw. bed leveling - is there any way to make it easier? I tried this thing:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106576

But it doesn't work well because the long screws do no move freely and the spring does not enough force push them up when I turn the wheel. I made the screw holes tighter because I feared else the bed would wiggle around if the long screws had some play.

What bout eliminating one screw with this adapter?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:129901

Anybody tried it? Our old Prusa Mendel has a 3-point leveling system (with thumb wheels) and leveling is never such a pain as with the Ultimaker.

how do you make cura print them all at once? Settings somewhere?

I am trying to print a 2 color object, changing the fillament in the middle of the print and I am trying to print as many objects in one go as possible. how do I arrange the items in cura? whenever I try to move two objects coloser together cure moves the other one away from this one. Can I turn that function off in the settings somewhere, or do I have to make on stl file containing all the objects in one go?

how do you make cura print them all at once? Settings somewhere?

Which version of Cura do you use?

Menu "Tools->Print all at once" - if you don't see it you should consider to update to a recent version.

BTW.: how did you find this old thread...? ;)