Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jan-weiss

Prints stop randomly

Hi,

nearly all prints (about 90%) I am attempting to finish stop sooner or later, the printer head just stops moving. The error log says "communication error during printing" or "communication timeout during printing".I have tried different usb slots and different versions of the cura software, but it did not help. Did anyone have a similar problem?

I assume you don't have an UltiController?

When the Ultimaker reads a communication error during the first run wizard, this can also indicate that

there is a temperature error. Do you have any temperature difficulties?

Have you also tried different computers/laptops?

Could it be that there is a general setting on your computer putting your USB ports into sleepmode after a while?

In any case, i can recommend looking into an UltiController, besides avoiding the difficulties a connection with a computer can have, it brings along much more benefits.

I do not have temperature issues and my longest print lasted probably 7 hours and 170mm height before stopping, so it is no sleepmode problem. But I have bought an Ulticontroller, I will assemble it and give that a try...

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I've been struggling with random print stoppages for a while now. It happens on two machines. They are printing from Raspberry Pi's, however, which makes it tough to diagnose the problem. I don't know if my cause is the same as yours, but the result is the same. My primary suspect right now is overheating of (or possibly, damage to) one of the stepper motor drivers. I have not seen the problem since replacing the stepper driver PCBs with Pololu versions on one machine. The other machine has been behaving lately.

Anyway, it could conceivably be related to an underpowered USB hub. I would try using a powered, external USB hub if it is available to you.

I would also recommend getting a Raspberry Pi and printing through Botqueue... because it makes you feel like you are in the future. But it may or may not solve your problem.

I have had this problem occasionally so I usually print with my ulticontroller. Many other people have had this problem and fixed it in a variety of ways. Some just switched to a different computer (usually laptops are better?). Some have used a powered usb hub and that fixed it. Some changed cables. Some lowered the baud rate and used pronterface instead of Cura for the printing phase.

Ulticontroller is preferable option. If I have a long print, printing window freeze after 2-3 hours, and no any possibilities to change settings, but still printing, finish print and I should shutting down window by force. But with previous version of cura, no any such incident happened.

I resolved my similar problem by using pronterface for printing instead. There seems to be some bug with latest Cura. Im sorry to say it, but pronterface appears to be much more reliable right now.

As for Ulticontroller, I'm simply not interested. There is no way you get the same level of potential control over your printer using a Ulticontroller.