Cura crashes my entire computer

JohnOldman

Posted · Cura crashes my entire computer

I've had a very bizarre issue which I assume must be because of Cura because it has only ever happened when I've had Cura open (so far it has happened about 10 times in about 5 hours total of having Cura open. I didn't use Cura for two weeks and nothing happened. Today I used it again and experienced 3 crashes). Sometime, whether I'm currently working in Cura or just have it open in the background, my screens turn off and the computer becomes unresponsive. It doesn't even respond to the power off button anymore, I have to turn it off at the power supply and then boot again. It doesn't seem to be related to the load on the computer. Has anyone experienced something similar or has an idea what might be causing this?

Also having this problem.

Cura 4.0.0
    Ryzen 2700X
    Nvidia RTX 2080

32GB RAM
    ASUS Strix X470-F motherboard

CPU, VRM and GPU are liquid cooled, temps are 50C or less.

I pulled my OC off the CPU and GPU still am getting blackscreened after about 30 minutes in CURA.

BIOS are updated and I have checked CPU voltage and made sure there isn't a power problem.

I have almost the identical system as the other user except I am using a Nvidia RTX 2070, and Cura 4.0.0 gives me the black screen of death after a short time...totally kills the machine.  There must be a major killer bug in Cura.  It seems to be random too.

Also noticing this issue. PC will crash some time if I leave Cura open (which I like to do to use the print monitoring screen). Specs below. Any update on this issue?

CPU:           AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2), 3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 4166 MHz (41.75x99.8)
    Motherboard:   ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
    BIOS:          4207, 12/07/2018
    Chipset:       AMD B350 (Promontory)
    Memory:        16384 MBytes @ 1330 MHz, 14-14-14-30
                   - 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZR
                   - 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZR
    Graphics:      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (GP104-300) [Micro-Star International]
                   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, 8192 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
    OS:            Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 17134.706 (1803/RS4)

@bigdrock44 There's more activity on the github issue: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/5265

Currently it looks like some dependencies that were updated for the 3.6 release are causing it. My personal guess is that they are triggering an issue in the ASUS UEFI resulting in the CPU getting too little power.

Users on Github are reporting that this issue seems to be gone in Cura 4.1.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, ghostkeeper said:

Users on Github are reporting that this issue seems to be gone in Cura 4.1.

Just had the same symptom occur with Cura 4.1.  Whole system crashed and went to black screen again.  I had Cura open in the background.  I would say the problem still is there.  This only happens when Cura is open.

Okay, thanks! That's bad news but in a way also good news because we hadn't changed anything to fix it so I was worried that we might accidentally trigger the problem again later without knowing how to fix it...

this has been happening to me for the past year and I finally realized two weeks ago that it was cura. Replaced every single part in my pc thinking it was defective shit 😂 Rig would crash anywhere from minutes to hours after closing cura. I just think AMD bugs out with it for some reason, Black screen, unresponsive had to hard reset from PSU, but sometimes it would randomly reboot itself. Still happens with 4.1 btw

Same here, sometimes it crashes my pc so hard i have to crawl under the desk and power of the psu for a bit. No other software manages to do that. Cura 4.1 / Ryzen 1700 / Nvidia

Exact same behavior as described above by lenne0815.

Cura 4.1

Win 10 Pro

AND Ryzen 7 1800X

Nvidia RTX 2060

Please let me know if you need further details.

Update: don't know if this helps: the windows error code I get is: (70368744177664),(2)

4.2 still resets the pc, this time on a ryzen 3600. Goddamnit i love octoprint.

4.2.1 Still random reboots.

Cura 4.2.1 still random reboot, also had to reset PSU because PC crashed so hard.

NOW I will use Cura within a virtual machine (virtualbox with opensuse) until a solution exists.

Latest version is 4.3 and 4.4. will come soon.

Okay, I finally figured out what superfreezes my PC. It's Cura. And it's version 4.4
    It was pretty hard to find out what caused it. First it felt totally random. Then I noticed I could game like 8h straight without a single crash. 

Wasn't able to find out any crashlogs or events, other than "power failure", which was caused by me flipping the death switch behind my pc. 

Finally, only thing I had on was Chrome and Cura. Googled this problem and here I am.

PC specs:
    2700x
    GTX 1080
    16Gb ram at 3200Mhz
    2x SSD, 1x m.2 ssd and 1x HDD

• Like 1

Nearly identical specs as above poster.  Same issues hard locks after 10-20 minutes.  Resetting by toggling  PSU power switch is only way to reboot.  Using Cura 4.4.1 and also tried 4.2.1 with identical issues.  Willing to go farther back if anyone has tried successfully....?

Desktop Specs:

Windows 10 pro

AMD 2700x

GTX1080

16GB RAM @3400mhz

M.2 1tb SSD, 500gb SSD, 3tb SSHD,  4tb StoreMi Tier Drive.

Cura works flawlessly on my Intel 7700HQ/GTX1070 laptop.

so sad, my PC crashed again. I am so sick of having my PC crashed while doing work or in front of customers.

Call me, when you fixed the problem, XD. A crash a day keeps my customers away.

Cura has worked perfect on my i7 3770K, but now I can't open cura for even 15 minutes. Even a Raspberry Pi is more reliable than the AMD-Cura combination.

20 minutes ago, goddamnmaddog said:

Even a Raspberry Pi is more reliable than the AMD-Cura combination.

Yes, if you want a stable Cura, use Linux. It's pretty much bomb proof and performance is well acceptable even on an i3.