bryansp_ms

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Posted · Cura Profile Location
On 3/23/2020 at 1:28 PM, Hausi1234 said:

For those who got here by the same google search:

C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\cura

Thank you very much.

My reason for asking is that I cannot find 2 older Cura profiles I imported. When I want to import again, Cura says that it is already there and save them as name(1). But, I cannot find them when I look for them under "Profiles".

Can it be that v4.x doesn't "read" v3.x?

• 1 year later...

For those that google keeps dumping here the more detailed answer is:

under "quality_changes" in the above roaming directory location.  It creates two files with an inst extension for each profile you have.

• Like 1

For those who find this in google now...
    The actual folder where the files containing the profiles are with the current version (4.12)

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\cura\[version]\quality_changes\

For those wandering in After June 2022, Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0 stores them in the following newer, dumber, non-appdata location:

Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0/share/cura/resources/

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura Profile Location
    On 7/1/2022 at 10:36 PM, jackharvest said:

For those wandering in After June 2022, Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0 stores them in the following newer, dumber, non-appdata location:

Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0/share/cura/resources/

ugh, rough.   whelp, looks like i have something else to add to part of my robocopy backup script once i get cura back up properly.  (first clean windows install in a lot of years for 11 recently, havent gotten to cura yet)

thanks for the info :)

Edited by klepp0906

On 7/2/2022 at 4:36 AM, jackharvest said:

After June 2022, Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0 stores them in the following newer, dumber, non-appdata location:

This is untrue. The location that you mention/found is where default profiles are stored, not where user-created configuration data is stored. Cura cannot even write to the location you mention (unless you launch Cura with administrator privileges, which you should not do). The user-created configuration data is stored where it has been stored since Cura 2.5:

%APPDATA%\cura, in a folder with the name of the Cura version. So in most cases, for Cura 5.0, that would be C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.0

I cannot stress enough that it is inadvisable to change files in the Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0\ folder.

• Like 1

How come when I go to help and click show configuration folder, it does nothing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Filmman586 said:

How come

I don't know. What OS do you use?

21 hours ago, Filmman586 said:

How come when I go to help and click show configuration folder, it does nothing.

It won't show anything in Cura (V5 in my case), but will pop open a Windows Explorer window (the file browser) at the correct location.  Did it perhaps pop up behind the Cura window?

And, if that isn't working for some reason, for V5 the files are indeed in C:\users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Cura\5.0.  But, if you get to C:\users\<you> and do not see the AppData folder, then you need to enable "hidden" folders to be shown.  Do that here:

Capture.JPG

Edited by MarkT
    Typo

Why is it when I copy and past, %APPDATA%\cura\5.1, into my file manager it gives me an error saying that the file doesn't exist? 

I saw a forum talking about your windows username messing up the C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.1 file but i tried changing the username to my cura username, getting rid of the space in the username and still nothing is showing up.

Anyone have an answer?

Use Cura showing and directing you to the correct place where the configuration folder live. That way there is absolutely no confusion about this question (and this is why the entry exists in the menu). It it mentioned in the second post in this thread.

Some remarks:

1. Cura: -->Help -->Show Configuration Folder

2. Each Cura version have its own configuration folder (... 4.13, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 ...)

3. Everything in %appdata% is for usual Windows user not visible as this is an hidden folder structure. You maybe need to change configuration of your Explorer / file manager to see them. (For Explorer see one post above your post for the )

BTW:

%APPDATA%\cura\5.1 works fine in case you had installed this version and not delete the configuration files  during an update / uninstall of Cura. %APPDATA%\cura works as well to find all existing configurations, but again: use Cura to show you the way to your "journey".

On 2/18/2019 at 3:00 AM, nallath said:

help-> show configuration folder

I found this both in local and program files, however, I haven't been able to locate were the profiles are. I was able to copy over my printers, extruders, and materials using dropbox sync but the only way iv been able to get my custom profiles is to use extension "Import Export Profiles" which you have to convert the profile to a .CSV file share it on dropbox then use the same extension on the other pc to import the .CSV file as a profile then save as new profile. Having an extensive amount of custom profiles dialed in for different materials and prints this will take days to accomplish using this method. 

Can anyone tell me what sub folder the profiles are in that way I can just transfer all of them at one time?

Edit: I found the custom profile under "quality_changes"

Edited by BSKFeralLycan

On 1/11/2023 at 10:02 PM, HutchRS said:

Why is it when I copy and past, %APPDATA%\cura\5.1, into my file manager it gives me an error saying that the file doesn't exist? 

I saw a forum talking about your windows username messing up the C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.1 file but i tried changing the username to my cura username, getting rid of the space in the username and still nothing is showing up.

Anyone have an answer?

Open Cura open the top tab that says "help: click on "Show configuration settings" it will bring you there automatically.

config.JPG

Keep in mind there is not only one file that is the "configuration file". The configuration is a set of files where the files have dependencies to each other. You need them all for a functional configuration in Cura.

Here is a good starting point to learn how these work:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Definition-Files-Explained

and

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Profiles-&-Settings

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, Filmman586 said:

Same using Win 10, have used cura for 2 1/2 years.

using shortcut in 'Help" now, does nothing.

I am trying to add stored definintions into a new install of windows, still not sure where they go?

Pasting stored definitions into the config folder shows them as type CURAPROFILE File, not the CFG file type that exists in the quality_changes folder.

The pasted definitions were exported from Cura 4.*

Any thoughts appreciated,

thanks !

If you used export, you have to use import. These files have extension .curaprofile

If you want to copy files to the configuration folder, copy them from a configuration folder. Those files have the extension .inst.cfg

You cannot mix the two methods.

• Like 1

in addition the configuration files between versions are not all the time compatible. They can but, they differ more often. Exporting from one version and importing with an other version give you mostly the chance to end with a successful take over to a new version.

I wonder why you need to do that manually as Cura import the files usually when you update Cura.

Regarding not seeing your configuration folder, had you read the posting from MarkT and look carefully to the attached picture? "Hidden Items" is what you need to check in your Explorer

Edited by DivingDuck
    add hidden...

Thank you both for your prompt replies, I realize now I was mixing 2 methods, and why the files are named differently.

Diving Duck may not realize I am running 2 new installs of Win 10, not an update.

Yes I have 'show hidden files' checked, all hidden files appear. Using cura to show the config folder does not work for me.

I have found the config folder, and after reading the helpful posts above, I now understand where and why they are stored. Same as always.

Thank you again for the help !

Yes, indeed I hadn't realized that. Glad that you was able to fix your problem.

I'm running as well Windows 10 and never had the issue not seeing the configuration files via Cura. Is it maybe a Windows user profile issue that lock Cura to access the %appdata%\roaming folder or a safety feature that prevent the access? Who knows...

I have a problem similar but not the same. I opened an old 3mf file which had a printing profile (not supported and outdated) I no longer had in cura, and it pasted the old profile in my list of custom profiles, I want to simply click on it and select remove so I can reopen the 3mf and simply import it into my newer supported profile, though when I click on it cura crashes and asks for a error report to be sent. How do I simply remove it? UPDATE: After doing some thorough digging on GitHub and ultimaker community I found that with cura v5.0 (where I was) the file in relation to the profile I needed to remove was unfindable. I went out on a limb and downloaded v5.2.2 and looked into the config folder and found it, temporarily deleted it, restarted cura, restarted pc and the profile was removed without error on my list of custom profiles. It originated from ...roaming/cura/5.2/quality_changes. Now I'm currently going through my dozens of old 3mfs and, changing the filament then profile settings and any other settings that need to be customized per model then opening the 3mfs and importing and resaving to the original file to wipe any future possibilities of crap old non updated profiles being added back in. 

Edited by GoguyT3d
    Found a ridiculously long solution
    • Like 1