UM3 doesn't take the IP adress from DHCP

Posted · UM3 doesn't take the IP adress from DHCP

Hi everyone, I'm new on this forum! I'm Max Jourdren, and I use 3D printer for 2 years (Zortrax, Prusa...), and now Ultimaker 3 at work. After some issues with bed leveling, I have found a new problem with the LAN connection. We can't use the Wi-Fi solution because of the architecture of our network (which needs an email address from our company), but in LAN, we are supposed to used everything we want thanks to the DHCP server, which send an IP address to every machine connected with a cable in LAN. The traditional printer works well with our network. BUT, our ultimaker 3 doesn't take an IP address from DHCP, and I don't understand why. The network LAN works well with any machine, printer, or computer I've tried, but only the UM3 don't.

I need to monitor the UM3 from an other desk, and it is far away from the printer.

I have tried to find some solution in all the forum, but... I don't really find something for my issue. In a lot of case, people take an IP address or want to have a fix address, and those aren't what I look for.

If someone have idea or something that can help me, it will be a pleasure !

It sounds like you are pretty good with computers.  My printer works with DHCP fine.  There's a small possibility that your printer has a defective ethernet connection.  I would strongly consider taking it home or something and see if it works there.

Anyway if you can somehow get network access to it (for example using a crossover ethernet cable or by setting up a micro/private wifi access point only used by the um3 and one of your computers) then you can ssh into the printer (put it into developer mode first from the menu system) and you can setup the network anyway you want using conman.  You can google about conman.  I know you said "fixed ip is bad" but you should be able to tell the DHCP server to not send out a small range of ip addresses and you can assign one of those permanently to the UM3.  

Other than that - it should just work.  You can get the MAC address off the network screen on the UM3 (it's kind of hidden in the name but if you look for 12 hex digits you will find it) and then maybe the dhcp server has notes about the "computer" at that MAC address in it's log.

Another option is to set up the printer so it uses wifi and your "email address connection" solution using conman.

Hi gr5 ! Thanks for your answer.

I think that is our server which doesn't recognize the Ultimaker (and not an issue with the UM3), but as I'm not the person in charge of the network (Just a trainee needed by the company to try some new things with a 3D printer), I can't really try to do all things I want with the network.

I'll question my superior about taking it at home to find out if it's just the network that do not recognize it or something goes wrong with a capricious internet card.

Well, I'm not a pro with linux and SSH, but I will look at the possibility with connman. I didn't say that fixed IP is bad (I use it at home), but just that our DHCP should send any IP, and the printer is supposed to understand it, and the communication is supposed to be easy ?
    I already questioned  the man in charge if it possible with a MAC address, and his answer was negative, even if he didn't explain me why it's impossible..

If it's possible in connman, I'll probably try it ! But the issue which comes in mind : I'll have to be in my own wifi with the printer and the computer to use ssh. But if I try to log with the printer on the company network, it'll stop the ssh no ?

But before "playing" with the dev mode, I'll question the reseller to know if the printer stay under guarantee after use this mode.
    Thanks for helping me ! (And sorry for the not perfect english)

4 hours ago, Max_Jourdren said:

just that our DHCP should send any IP, and the printer is supposed to understand it, and the communication is supposed to be easy ?

Yes.  It works great for most people.  So you may have simply had a cable disconnect from the antenna during shipping or something like that.

dev mode is fine and doesn't violate warranty.

You seem to correctly understand that you have a "chick and egg" issue.  Most of the network fixes involve connman but you can't run conman without ssh and ssh needs network connectivity.

Alternatively you could get an "olimex serial cable f", remove the bottom cover, and connect to the olimex linux computer directly using a terminal program and run connman that way.  But at least for me, it's so much easier to set up a temporary network connection using a discarded or used wifi access point (I have 3 in my attic collecting dust) or an ethernet crossover cable.

Hey ! I come back with more information.

After a crash of our network, the UM3 get an IP address ! I can monitor it from my computer. It was perfect. BUT, 2 issues happen :

*First, when I shutdown it, it take a new IP address, and Cura don't recognize the UM3 with the new address (I have to manually enter the new address, is that normal ?). I understand now why people want a fix IP for the UM3.

*Secondly, after a new shutdown of the UM3, the UM3 no longer has an IP address. And it seem like the printer wont have a new one after an other shutdown. Same problem as at the beginning of the topic. It's pretty weird. So, I think I will use connman to set a fix IP and look with wireshark or something like this to see if there is a connection between DHCP and the printer.

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

dev mode is fine and doesn't violate warranty.

Thanks for the information, it'll be usefull !

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

But at least for me, it's so much easier to set up a temporary network connection

I think too ! I'll try with me pone as a wifi network and will see how it'll work !