Another Home Made High Resolution 3D Printer

ian

Posted · Another Home Made High Resolution 3D Printer

I really had some great fun today surfing the net for what is out there, in terms of decent home use 3d printing.

the funny thing, is there seems to be onle ybout 3 big runners in the under 2000 euro scene at the moment.

But funny enough, there is an army of bigger companies copying the nice simple ideas of for example ultimaker and banging on a few pieces of posh stainless steal, a touch pad and pricing it for 5000 euros.... auch.... :shock:

but this one caught my eye today.

itsounds very interesting.

im not sure about the technology used, but the product seems very good with beautiful resolution.

here are the few links i found.

I would be interested to hear feedback from the ULTI GANG ?

Ian :D

http://hackaday.com/2011/04/01/3d-printer-gets-a-big-resolution-improvement/Hacker and engineer Junior Veloso has built an astounding high resolution printer in his own home.

IMG_6835.jpg

It's interesting tech. No doubt that it (and powder printers) can produce prints with stunning resolution!

I don't see myself ever getting one, though. It's really less of a rapid-prototyper and more of a monochrome printer. Can't see how you'd change layer height or any of the other parameters that enable you to, say, do a fast & low-res print instead of a slow & high-res one. There doesn't seem to be many options for colors, too.

Nice? Absolutely. For me? Not unless it's comes out pretty cheap..

do you think with refinement, the ultimaker could get closer to this quality and resolution ?

what would need to be improved to make this happen ?

(1) better software usage of the technology.

(2) maybe better resin ?

Ian

do you think with refinement, the ultimaker could get closer to this quality and resolution ?

I think we're already close to it! Or Paul is anyway..

According to the post on creator’s blog where this image was originally shown,

http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/2011/03/venus-20.html

, the venus was printed at a resolution of 50 microns.

I too am new to 3d printing, and more specifically the Ultimaker, but to my understanding this resolution has already been surpassed with the 40 and 20 micron profiles.

I can’t see any mention of resolution in his subsequent posts, perhaps it has already been improved upon, but otherwise the Ultimaker appears to remain quite competitive.

I too am new to 3d printing, and more specifically the Ultimaker, but to my understanding this resolution has already been surpassed with the 40 and 20 micron profiles..

Yup:

http://davedurant.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... of-prints/

I too am new to 3d printing, and more specifically the Ultimaker, but to my understanding this resolution has already been surpassed with the 40 and 20 micron profiles..

Yup:

http://davedurant.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... of-prints/

Thanks, but I had seen that already, your blog post was the reason I ordered my Ultimaker(still waiting :( )

I haven’t had the time to do as much research as I would like, but the reason I hesitated to say the Ultimaker could do better is I don’t know if the 40 and 20 micron resolutions refer only to the Z axis(layer heights) or all 3

Thanks, but I had seen that already, your blog post was the reason I ordered my Ultimaker(still waiting :( )

I haven’t had the time to do as much research as I would like, but the reason I hesitated to say the Ultimaker could do better is I don’t know if the 40 and 20 micron resolutions refer only to the Z axis(layer heights) or all 3

In general the X/Y axis are done with 0.4mm lines at a very high accuracy (if you have all the mechanical stuff sorted) Doing smaller then 0.4mm lines with a 0.4mm nozzle is very hard. With 0.02mm layers is sort of laying very small pizzas on top of each other.

In general the X/Y axis are done with 0.4mm lines at a very high accuracy (if you have all the mechanical stuff sorted) Doing smaller then 0.4mm lines with a 0.4mm nozzle is very hard. With 0.02mm layers is sort of laying very small pizzas on top of each other.

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense.

looks like these guys are getting ready to start selling this printer?

should be interesting.

Ian

http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter

From him? No way.

Agreed Daid. I'll wait a bit for the other guys to catch up which shouldn't be long. I've read some less than nice words about this guy. I can't verify that they are true but they seem to fit somehow, but again, I can't verify that. Regardless of that it's exciting to see these new printers (new for us DIYers) starting to show up and how fast progress is being made. Feels like it wasn't very long ago that resins were extremely expensive but they are now starting to show up for prices that rival PLA and ABS filament.

well the resin prices on this project are less than $100/kg and the machine looks nice to:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9c ... 3d-printer

is this done by the same people?

well the resin prices on this project are less than $100/kg

And PLA is less than $30/kg and I can achieve the same kind of quality (with a bit of patience). Also note that the resin is UV-curing, as soon as you put a little bit of light in it, it will harden up (and possibly ruin your machine if you are not careful). I had a similar experience with PLA that would dissolve under light, and that stuff literally broke down in front of my eyes.

Too experimental for public usage.

Aren't there resins that are less sensitive to "everyday light" these days?

And no, you cannot achieve the same type of resolution and prints that these types of printers produce no matter how much you tinker with your Ultimaker.

And no, you cannot achieve the same type of resolution and prints that these types of printers produce no matter how much you tinker with your Ultimaker.

Well, those machines have to get < 10 micron layer height before I say "ok, I cant do that" :p And I can get rid of stringing. What I cant do is print upside down (yet).

It's not all about layer height though ;) But, as an example the black car printed in the following link is done at 10micron layers and it's mentioned elsewhere on the page that they expect 1micron layers to be possible:

http://code.google.com/p/lemoncurry/wiki/main

(scroll to "Sample DLP Prints")

And a couple of examples of detail from the controversial veloso printer:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kozEBx2HeX8/T ... G_2616.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lVP5nZpNEQU/T ... G_2610.jpg

If you can print that orb there I'll gladly pay for the filament and your time :)

Resin printers don't display the "banding" that fused filament printers always have. Having held really good resin prints in my hands next to really good filament prints, I can tell you there is still a noticeable difference no matter how low you set your layer height on a filament printer. The bands get tinier, but they're still visible.