Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Support Blocker Has No Effect


VanKurt
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

I have a model with several supports that I would like to remove. To do so I added a support blocker cube.

But after slicing, the supports are still there. The blocker seems to have no effect at all.

 

Am I using the blocker wrong?

 

PS: I tried with Cura 3.6 and 4.0 on Windows and Mac.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

    There is a bug in the support blocker function and I assume it is exactly your issue. When you block any support at the bottom, but there is another support over the blocked support below, then the blocker is ignored. 

     

    So far as I know, there is currently also no workaround for it. You can try to play with the support horizontal expansion setting, but I think it will not help.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

    Insert a box in the jaws of the model. Then use 'per model' settings to tell it to print as support. Make sure you turn off the support for the main model though or it will put support where it always does.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect
    11 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

    Insert a box in the jaws of the model. Then use 'per model' settings to tell it to print as support. Make sure you turn off the support for the main model though or it will put support where it always does.

     

    Hey, thanks for pointing out this workaround. But I also have some models which are a lot more complicated, so positioning all supports manually would be quite a pain in the a** 😉

     

    12 hours ago, Smithy said:

    There is a bug in the support blocker function and I assume it is exactly your issue. When you block any support at the bottom, but there is another support over the blocked support below, then the blocker is ignored.  

     

    Sounds like it. This bug seems to be around for quite some time (occurs at least in Cura 3.6, maybe even earlier?). And it appears not to have been fixed in 4.0 either.

    Is there any official word if/when this is going to be fixed?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

    Note that support blocker blocks are not simply subtracted from the support. The idea is that where they overlap a model, that part of the model does not get support.

     

    The issue here is that the support from higher up in the model extends all the way down to the buildplate, instead of stopping at the lower part of the model. This is a bug (which last I heard was "mostly fixed" in Cura 4.0).

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect
    5 hours ago, ahoeben said:

    Note that support blocker blocks are not simply subtracted from the support. The idea is that where they overlap a model, that part of the model does not get support.

     

    The issue here is that the support from higher up in the model extends all the way down to the buildplate, instead of stopping at the lower part of the model. This is a bug (which last I heard was "mostly fixed" in Cura 4.0).

     

    Sadly the bug is still there in 4.0 😞

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

    Yes, and the bug has been inside longer, I'm not sure, but I think it was before 3.6. too.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

    Sorry for this question, but where did you found the "support blocker" option in the new 4.0.0 version ?

    Tks 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

    4.6.1 Support blocker still not working. Support would seem to be a critical part of 3d printing. Why does it seem cura doesnt want to improve it? Seems all the effort is going into experimental options while support blocker is never getting out of experimental.

    SupportBlockerNotWorking.png

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Support Blocker Has No Effect

    Support Blocker blocks support, it does not erase it.

    That means you have to put the support blocker element over the overhang you don't want to have support generated for. From your picture I have the impression that the support blocker element is outside the print object which will not work.

    Please also check if support horizontal expansion is producing some unwanted support.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 8 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...