Posted · Converted UM2+ to UM3+ with Mark2

I was able to successfully convert my UM2  to a UM2+  then a UM2+ Mark2 with magnetic docking second head.

Now I have hacked in the UM3 print head !.  cool now I have a Mark2 system with quick change UM3 print cores !

I totally destroyed the UM3 print head PCB lol.   I had to remove all IC's and resistors form the board, then I "hot wired"  the CORE connections to the main cable header lol.

LED's do not currently work, but they will soon show the active extruder, only 1 color though.

Capacitive Z sensor is non operational since I am using the Original UM2 electronics coupled with Mark2 firmware.

I started off by going off the deep end buying the UM3 electronics etc.   then I found out that all I needed to do was use everything I already had.    at first I wanted the autoleveling, RGB core LED's  etc.

Anyway,  this is very simple to do if you don't mind killing a UM3 print head  😉 and already have Mark2 operational 🙂

Here is a quick video showing the Mark2 Docking sequence adjusted to hit the nozzle shift lever bracket.

Mark2 Print core swap

Enoy,   Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi superdave42,

A great way of updating an "old" UM2!!!

Very impressing, -this should be an upgrade Ultimaker could offer?

Thanks.

Torgeir.

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Hi superdave42,

A great way of updating an "old" UM2!!!

Very impressing, -this should be an upgrade Ultimaker could offer?

Thanks.

Torgeir.

Cool,   Ultimaker would not offer this as an upgrade.  It's a super hack lol. just fun for the sake of modding.

IMG_20190324_110258.jpg