Got an old Model, Which firmware and How to update it?

rzXbrain

Posted · Got an old Model, Which firmware and How to update it?

Hello,

Someone just gave me an old 3d printer. It's supposed to be an ultimaker, but I can't find the said model (ultimaker dreamaker).
I apparently need to change the firmware on it since it's not booting, the screen stays blank. But as I'm not sure of the model, I don't know where to start searching.

I've attached a picture of the printer, in case someone could have a clue.
I'm living in China, so maybe it's a model made only here, no idea...

610226782.jpg

• Like 1

That looks like a clone, not an Ultimaker-produced model. As a result, it is hard to know what firmware would work on that printer.

• Like 1

Well, the outside might be different yeah... but inside it's possibly an ultimaker original. Where could i find a recovery image and how to flash the arduino with it?

Clones tend to do lots of changes.  For example UM uses PT100 sensors but more often printers tend to use thermistors instead.  Different clones tend to use different servo types with different steps/mm and different amounts of substepping.  They just can't resist making little "improvements".

Also there is a strong possibility that the display is not a UM2 style display but is instead a UMO style display.  So you might need the Ultimaker Original firmware.

Anyway I don't think you'll break anything if you use the wrong firmware.  The best firmware to use is the tinkergnome series because you can adjust things like steps/mm in the menu system.  It's found here:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

If the display doesn't seem to work then try a UMO style of Marlin which you can create here:

https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/

To install you need a USB cable and a mac, pc, or linux computer running cura to install the firmware.

• Like 1

Hye, actually to be sure I opened it up.
    And it actually contain an MKS base_l v1.0 and a display MKS MINI12864 v1.0 so Marlin's firmware are good with it. But that's actually not an ultimaker original indeed.

With an MKS board and display, I would suggest you just start with a recent Marlin firmware and configure it from there instead of a precompiled-for-Ultimaker version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

With an MKS board and display, I would suggest you just start with a recent Marlin firmware and configure it from there instead of a precompiled-for-Ultimaker version.

Yep, that's what I've started to do.
    So far I've been able to set the display, configure the bed heater and the dual extruders with the heater for each.
    But the axis seems inverted. I have trouble fixing that correctly for now. Also, I'm supposed to work right now, so, I only test when Android Studio is Building 😅

• Like 2

• 1 year later...