fixing under extrusion with Start GCode addition

bigdawg

Posted · fixing under extrusion with Start GCode addition

I have an Ender 3 and after doing the 100mm extrusion test I have determined that the printer is under extruding by 5mm and that changing the estep to 98 will fix the issue.

I do not want to Flash my printer to change the default which is 93 to 98 but read that I can simply add a Start gcode under Settings/Printer/Manage Printer/Machine Settings and then add an additional Start gcode to tell the printer to overwrite the default setting of 93 to the new setting of 98.

I have no programming expertise so can someone tell me the exact Start gcode I should add and does it go first or last in the Start gcode list?   Thanks.

M92

As in:

M92 E98

Put this at the top of the gcode file as it runs the gcodes in order from first to last. The printer doesn't know whats at the end of the gcode file until the end of the print.

If you add a M500 then it will save the value after a power cycle.  Without the M500 it will still remember the setting until you power cycle or do another M92. So:

M92 E98

M500

That will save the values and then you don't have to mess with steps/mm ever again.

Wow, Thanks a lot.

Great info.

I noticed that you said M92 E98....I assumed that I needed to put a 0 in front of the 98, as in E098 because there are 3 numbers after the E. Is that wrong?

Also, the M500 was something I was not aware of, so are you saying that by adding M500 that the next time I turn on my Ender 3 and print something that was sliced with Cura that the Printer will remember my estep setting?

I was not totally sure what you meant by the second sentence... "Without the M500 it will still remember the setting until you power cycle or do another M92. So:"

I really appreciate the incredibly fast response.

BD