shiftux

Horizontal expansion makes my inner walls disappear

Posted · Horizontal expansion makes my inner walls disappear

Hello community
I'm printing a thin walled airplane with parts from thingyverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3205608/comments).

The problem I'm having is that some small holes (on fuselage_2) are printed too small. If tried everything I could think of to reduce the retraction blobs and everything, but they still are too small.

Now one approach I was gonna try was to set "horizontal expansion" to a negative value. But doing this makes all the inner structures of the model disappear (same thing as if I leave "union overlapping volumes" checked). 

Can anyone tell me why this happens and what I could do against it?

The profile and pictures and are attached (one with horizontal expansion, one without).

Thanks and best

s.

Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 11.01.07.png

Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 11.02.12.png

shiftyCuraProfile_expansion.curaprofile

See my post below on using 'Outer wall inset'.  Horizontal expansion essentially just scales the whole design bigger or smaller.  'Outer wall inset' move the outer wall in toward the inner wall a set amount to compensate for a line width that is slightly larger than what you specify.

thanks for the reply! 

while something i will definitely try out, i feel it doesn't reply to the question as why all inner walls should disappear? - this IMHO is a bug in cura, since there should be sufficient space and material left to slice walls in the inner of the body after a slight horizontal expansion...

check the box on print thin walls and they should come back they disappear because they become too thin.

thanks for the suggestion. tried that, did not work...