Cura beta 4.1 bondtech um3

Raul torres

Posted · Cura beta 4.1 bondtech um3

hello in the new update of cure in advanced profile system I see that I can modify parameters of the printers as the steps of the engines among others, with this method could mount a kit bondtech in my um3 adjusting the steps from cure?  Thank you

I don't see this feature in Cura 4.0.  The most it can do is add some gcode but you can't update steps/mm in UM3 with just a gcode (you can on UM2).  You should know however that bondtech has a new installation procedure that runs a program that updates the steps/mm for you.  This is for people not comfortable with linux (UM3 runs linux).

I found that the feeders are so powerful on the UM3 that there is no need for the bondtech.  Unless you are printing CF.  The UM3 gears aren't hardened enough for carbon fill filament but the bondtech gears are.

I'm printing colorfabb xt cf20 carbon.  I appeared in beta 4.1 at the end of the whole in the profile setting options. Where can I see the new form of bondtech for ultimaker 3 without touching Linux?  thank you

I run a pair of Bondtech QR’s on my Ultimaker S5. I added

M92 E492.45 ; set E-steps to 492.45

M500 ; saves value

to the start G-code in the printer’s machine settings. It isn’t elegant, but it works. The only time I have to send the gcode manually to the printer is when I restart and want to do an xy calibration. (Getting the E-steps right doesn’t matter for filament changes.) Otherwise, the E-step values are stored on the printer. 

I did have to disable the flow sensors in the printer settings, but I’m almost done prototyping a housing that adds the UM S5 flow sensor hardware to the Bondtech QR’s.

What was the reason to change the S5 feeders for the QRs? 

Before S5 I can understand it, but in my opinion, the S5 feeders are great and I cannot see any advantages currently with the QRs?

(1) I print mainly carbon- and glass-fiber reinforced materials. 

(2) with the Bondtech, I can print Ninjaflex and other flexible filaments at reasonable speeds. 

And even with the improvements to the Ultimaker extruders, the Bondtech QRs are still much better. 

The machine settings for Steps per Millimetre are normally not visible (only because you installed a plug-in that makes machine settings visible).

They are not used currently by CuraEngine but only by the X3GWriter plug-in to convert to X3G properly. However in the future we might use them to improve aliasing when rounding to steps or halfsteps.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, pdzamore said:

(1) I print mainly carbon- and glass-fiber reinforced materials. 

(2) with the Bondtech, I can print Ninjaflex and other flexible filaments at reasonable speeds. 

And even with the improvements to the Ultimaker extruders, the Bondtech QRs are still much better. 

You're using 2.85mm filament, right? I am considering switching to Bondetech 3.0 but would like to print with 1.75mm filament and I'm not quite sure if it works. The original feeder seems to work with 1.75mm filament (thinner tubes provided...).

Are you planning to use exclusively 1.75 mm filament? Why not just convert everything and use a 1.75 mm Bondtech extruder? For many years I had a Fusion3D printer with dual 1.75 mm hot ends and matched 1.75mm Bondtech QR extruders. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pdzamore said:

Are you planning to use exclusively 1.75 mm filament? Why not just convert everything and use a 1.75 mm Bondtech extruder? For many years I had a Fusion3D printer with dual 1.75 mm hot ends and matched 1.75mm Bondtech QR extruders. 

I stil have quite a bit of 2.85 mm filament, but yes I am considering to switch completely to 1.75 mm. Found the Bondtech feeder as part of the Ultimaker QR 3 Upgrade kit... so I didn't realise there was also a 1.75 mm version. I will think about it.

You can change the gears in the 2.85mm QR to 1.75.  Contact bondtech for 1.75 gears and instructions.  I don't know what the procedure is but it can't be trivial because a customer of mine who did it broke something in their feeder.  But I imagine with the right tool it's not bad.

Wait you have a UM3 - you should have ordered the DDG feeder.  Much cheaper!  And simpler.

Also the feeders that come with the UM3 can print 1.75 or 3mm filament just fine with no modifications.

I don’t think you want to simply swap gears, as the entrance and exit holes should be smaller for 1.75 mm. If you contact Martin Bondeus, he can help you order the correct parts to convert a 3 mm to a 1.75 mm extruder. The filament in a Bondtech extruder is captured between two toothed grooves in the counter rotating hobs. You definitely want the groove dimensions to match the filament size. But it is much simpler to buy the right size the first time.