CR-X gcode files not displaying on Printer *FIX*

Posted · CR-X gcode files not displaying on Printer *FIX*

Hello everyone I just wanted to share my discovery. I have been having an issue where some .gcode files sliced on Cura were not showing up on the SD menu of my Creality 3D CR-X. I went and updated the firmware and I was still having the issue. Simple solution is to shorten the name of the file.

Example:

"CCRX_CRXFilamentGuideV3.gcode" will not show up

"FilGuide.gcode" will show up

Just wanted to save people a headache if they have the same issue 🙂

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much! 

I've been having the same issue on my creality ender 5 plus. I was very confused and found your post tried it and it worked. Just like that. 😁👍👍👍👍👍👍😁 Thanks

• 3 months later...

I have just spent TWO HOURS trying to work out why my brand new CR-X printer wasn't seeing files on the SD card.  What was REALLY frustrating was the fact that I could see the first file I created but none others.

I reloaded Cura (4.5) and yelled at the printer all without success.

I searched the internet for answers.

And then I found this post - OH MY GOD you have saved me.  This issue doesn't make sense as I can see all my files on my CR10 which only added to my frustration.

Not too keen on the different interface on CR-X but keen on the dual extruder feature in Cura.

• 6 months later...

you are a legend to me man. I was so frustrated. because this is my 1st printer. um new with this machine. how did you come up with this solution. thank you so much. cheers! 

• Like 1

Some Creality printers (which ones depends on the mainboard) have a 16 character limit for the first part of a file name.  It would be really helpful if Creality actually told people that.  The same  group of printers don't deal with SD cards over 16gb and once again, that isn't stated anywhere.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:49 PM, GregValiant said:

Some Creality printers (which ones depends on the mainboard) have a 16 character limit for the first part of a file name.

Yup, it caught me out too on my CR10s Pro V2. Notably, I have an Ender-3 which doesn't have the same issue. Technically, the CR range was developed before the Ender series, perhaps this is related to that earlier development.

The same  group of printers don't deal with SD cards over 16gb and once again, that isn't stated anywhere.

Yup...it's actually the type of the card that matters, the newer format SDXC type cards specifically are not combatable. The problem is,  the older types of SD card are being phased out, along with the smaller capacities, meaning when you go buy a new SD card, it's likely to be an SDXC type and thus not compatible.

Case in point, I have an old 64gb micro SD card that is a HC type, and it works fine in my CR10. The problem is it cost me $120 (AUD) a couple of years ago, and good luck finding a HC type one with that capacity these days as they are all the XC type. 

It would be really helpful if Creality actually told people that.

I agree completely. Better still, update their firmware to support the newer and current standard XC type's. I have been in contact with Creality directly recently regarding this issue and a couple of others, sadly they are moving slowly to say the least...and it may not be as simple as just updating firmware either from what I've been told. 

Good news with the silent mainboards that Creality has on offer though, they allegedly don't have this limitation, but I'm a month or two off being able to confirm. 

the tragedy here is - it's still not completly fixed... some files are still not shown.. if the filename is to short i won't work either - my CR-10-S V2 can't see a file: 'screw.gcode' - but i can see 'screwthis.gcode' (same file, renamed)

:facepalm: - 1.5 years later - come on creality :facepalm:

For more joy...

The next thing is a problem between the 4.2.2, 4.2.7 mainboards the the TFT screens.  M0 (used in the Pause at Height plugin), M1, and M117 don't work (on some) because they send text messages to the screen.  Once again it's a Creality issue.  There was a post here and the OP said he installed a different firmware flavor and the commands started working.  Then he disappeared without telling anyone what flavor it was.  The folks at Marlin aren't happy with Creality and won't discuss it.  I hit a dead end there and lost interest.

I was considering a 2-in-1-out shared heater hot end.  I'm going to pass.  I would have to change mainboards and firmware and it just sounds like a headache.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:05 AM, BlickyOnTheStiffy said:

Hello everyone I just wanted to share my discovery. I have been having an issue where some .gcode files sliced on Cura were not showing up on the SD menu of my Creality 3D CR-X. I went and updated the firmware and I was still having the issue. Simple solution is to shorten the name of the file.

Example:

"CCRX_CRXFilamentGuideV3.gcode" will not show up

"FilGuide.gcode" will show up

Just wanted to save people a headache if they have the same issue 🙂

I have a creality cr 10s pro and I was having the same issue with my sliced files then I tried a short .gcode file name and it worked perfectly. Thank you for the info!

Made an account just to elaborate how this worked for me. This was my first custom print using Cura instead of the pre-made Gcodes on our Anet E4 printer. Some files were not appearing initially, I don't know what I did to make it appear but that wasn't the main problem. The "Print" button on our printer did nothing when using the custom Gcode, but worked perfectly when using the pre-made GCodes. I've tried modifying some configurations, tried changing G-code flavor from Marlin to Repetier, tried formatting the SD card, tried using a different card, but nothing. I tried renaming to a shorter file name like OP said and to my surprise, it worked. "Print" started working again and my file began printing.

Apparently a simple character limitation on the file name was all I needed. So, thanks OP

I have shortened my file name, but still nothing. On top of that, the stock gcode files (cat and dog - Ender 3 V2) are also not reading anymore. I don't understand

Thanks for this i was so confused.